Location: Manchester city centre
The Co-op is changing. Fast. As Britain’s largest convenience retailer, we’re proud to be at the heart of communities across the UK. And we’re committed to providing high quality, ethical products at great prices to our millions of customers. Our food policy team are responsible for making sure we take action on the things that matter most to our customers and members and that our products are sourced to the high ethical standards they expect. Now we’re looking to recruit a talented and ambitious food policy officer to support the delivery and development of the Co-op environment and sustainability agenda.
As an environment and sustainability food policy officer, you’ll work with our suppliers to reduce our environmental impact in terms of energy, water and waste within the manufacturing process of our products and across our supply chain. We’ll look to you to drive continuous improvement and support with key projects across the team. It’s a big role with lots of responsibility. But it’s one that will give you a fantastic opportunity to make a real impact and progress your career with a business that puts people and ethics at the heart of its strategy.
What you’ll do:
- manage our online supplier platform for environment and ethical issues (The Co-op Channel of Manufacture 2030); sharing industry knowledge and managing content, answering any supplier queries or issues
- work with suppliers to reduce the environmental impact of Co-op products in terms of greenhouse gas emissions, water and waste
- manage the creation and production of reports, content for monthly newsletters, Manufacture 2030 content and weekly updates
- support the Food Sustainability Manager in the development and delivery of key sustainability projects to support business commitments and targets
- identify opportunities and oversea projects that drive continuous improvement in reducing the impact of Co-op products
- maintain your knowledge of developing and emerging issues, aiming to protect the business from impacts of changing regulation or public perception
- engage with people across the business to influence change and drive improvements
- provide support and accountability as required to the wider team to drive Policy objectives
- represent the Policy team internally and externally at industry bodies and events
To be successful, you’ll be a natural people person with a real passion for food and reducing environmental impact. You’ll be an advocate for making sure our products follow our strategy and commitment to providing products with the lowest footprint possible. Your experience managing relationships will be key to influence different people, and your knowledge will make you a respected voice. And if you’re looking for a role where you can really make a difference and help shape the direction of the Co-op’s environment and sustainability strategy, this has it all.
We’d love to speak to you if:
- you have experience with energy, water and waste management, and are able to speak with authority about environmental issues
- you come from the food and drink or manufacturing sector
- you’re passionate about food and driving improvement within the business
- you have the ability and experience of communicating complex policy issues to audiences in an engaging way
- you can bring excellent influencing and engagement skills
- you’re able to take an idea and drive results from it
- you have good attention to detail, but can place it in the big picture
- you have a relatable degree, this would be desirable but not essential
- you have membership of a chartered body such as IEMA, CIWM, or EI again these would be desirable but not essential
- you have any supplier management experience, this would also be good
We can make adjustments to our interview process according to your needs. And we offer a flexible working environment, enabling our colleagues to adjust their hours to accommodate personal circumstances. You can find out more about all our Co-op people policies at coop.co.uk/peoplepolicies.