Job Number: 509295 | Vacancy Link
Locations: Africa: Senegal
Work Type : Fixed Term Staff
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children’s rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world. To learn more about UNICEF, visit www.unicef.org.
For Every Child, hope
Children in West and Central Africa have their rights violated on daily basis to an extreme extent. They die from malaria, diarrhoeal diseases and vaccine-preventable diseases such as measles. To learn more about UNICEF’s work in the region. The West and Central Africa Regional Office (WCARO) is working to renew its efforts to advance children’s rights which have been impeded by economic and public health crises, and natural disasters. Though child mortality decreased and more children are in school, a high number live in poverty. To learn more about WCAROplease visit: https://www.unicef.org/wcaro
If you are a passionate and committed professional and want to make a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you through your application
How can you make a difference?
In the capacity of Regional Adviser, the Regional Adviser WASH supports and advises the Regional Director/Deputy Regional Director, the Regional Management Team and Country Offices and Governments in developing policies, strategies, programmes and systems for the designated areas of responsibilities. Responsible for providing technical leadership, management advice, and programme support and capacity building to country offices throughout the Region. Facilitates application, adaptation and achievement of UNICEF global and regional goals, polices, and strategies in the area of WES/WASH programme for countries of the Region. Provides UNICEF WES/WASH programmes with innovative leadership including expert advice, vision, oversight, knowledge management, articulating policies and strategies, situation appraisal, harmonization of programme strategy, capacity building, support for monitoring and evaluation and representation. Provides advice across the region in the identification of gender disparities in WASH and inequities in access to innovative approaches and programmes to eliminate these disparities, and the used of monitoring mechanism to track progress towards disparity reduction targets. Additionally the position will support areas related to a safe and clean environment for children, including reduction of risks, urban settings, and environmental sustainability and climate.
- Programme policies, strategies, and approaches for the region are developed and advocated. Regional Director, Deputy Regional Director, the Regional Management Team and Country Offices are advised on strategy, policy, programme and advocacy. UNICEF’s regional programme, strategy, policy and advocacy guidelines are developed and disseminated to Country Office programme staff.
- Strategy coordination to facilitate harmonization and implementation of regional and country strategies is formed in collaboration with management at country, regional, and HQ levels. Guidance and support are provided to form strategic alliances with national partners to influence on programme strategy and plan.
- Up-to-date technical expertise is maintained, expanded and disseminated throughout the Organization, and shared with regional/national institutions/partners.
- Effective coordination is established and maintained within the safe and clean environment area and with other programme sections
- Country Offices, Regional Office staff and national partners lead regional programme development, implementation and management processes due to continual, effective capacity building.
- Regional and Country Offices expand, lead and deliver programmes at a high quality standard in area of expertise due to strong technical leadership.
- Regional financial resources are enhanced by effective advocacy and leveraging.
- Accurate, coherent and reliable regional information is collected, analysed and reported for monitoring and evaluation purposes.
- UNICEF is effectively represented and programme goals and strategies are widely advocated with high level and senior government officials, multi-lateral agencies, bi-lateral agencies, NGOs, other UN agencies, and donors.
- Effective communication, partnerships, representation and networking are forged to develop harmonized programme interventions and expand programmes and networks.
- Emergency preparedness is assessed, needs for emergency support, especially gender-specific protection and support, are identified, and emergency responses with effective.
To qualify as a champion for every child you will need to have…
- Advanced university degree (minimum Master’s degree level) in any of the following: Public Health, Civil Engineering, Environmental engineering, Environmental Science, Mechanical Engineering, Geology, Hydrology, Sanitation Engineering, or afield relevant to international WASH related development assistance. Additional training in Health Education or Communication for Development (Programme Communication), an asset.
- Ten (10) years of progressively responsible professional work experience in all aspects of programme management, and/or advisory support, in the technical area or programme sector resulting in recognized expertise in the technical area. Demonstrated capacity to identify and monitor gender disparities, as well as develop and implement gender mainstreaming in programme policy and management.
- Prior experience working in a UN system will be considered an asset.
- Fluency in French and English are required. Working knowledge of another UN Language will be an asset.
For every Child, you advocate and demonstrate…
Our core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
- Leading and Supervision – III
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts – III
- Analyzing – III
- Relating and Networking – III
- Deciding and Initiating Action – III
- Persuading and Influencing – II
To view our competency framework, please click here.
This position is classified as “rotational” which means the incumbent is expected to rotate to another duty station upon completion of their tour of duty.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply
Opening Date Thu Dec 07 2017 02:00:00 GMT-0700 (MST) GMT Standard Time
Closing Date Thu Dec 21 2017 16:55:00 GMT-0700 (MST)