Note: This position will be located in Africa
World Vision (WV) believes that every child deserves clean water, proper sanitation and dignified hygiene. In fact, in 2015 WV formalized this by making a bold commitment: to reach everyone, everywhere we work with clean, safe water, dignified sanitation and appropriate hygiene behavior by 2030. With teams in more than 50 countries, this year WV has made great strides towards that audacious goal: 1.6 million people reached with sanitation, 3.2 million people benefiting from programming that improved their hygiene and 4.7 million people provided with access to clean drinking water.
The Senior Director of WASH provides strategic leadership and direction for the WASH field operations to maximize the WASH contribution to child well-being, the Sustainable Development Goals and to ensure operational performance that meets the sector standards and donor expectations. This position ensures effective partnership with WV field teams, the donors and other partners. The role strengthens WV operational effectiveness and reputation, creates and strengthens strategic partnerships, networking, and innovative approaches and strengthens and mobilizes the community of practice to execute programming that demonstrates evidence of efficiency and impact, enhance global WASH reputation, influence, and thought leadership. The role will collaborate with the WVUS Director of WASH and WVI Global Sector Lead for WASH. The location of this position is continental Africa. The specific location in Africa is negotiable.
Set Strategic Priorities
- Develops annual WASH Business Plans with the Regional WASH Directors, Support Offices and National teams.
- Provides thought leadership for WASH both within and outside WV.
- Ensures integration of WV distinctives and ethos in WASH implementation.
- Ensures alignment of WASH programming with global sector approaches and project models.
- Ensures overall compliance with WVI Partnership standards and industry standards
- Oversees the quality and coverage of WASH programming
- Champions cross-sector collaboration for integration of WASH with other sectors
- Provide team leadership and mentoring through the WASH Capacity Building Plan.
Provide Operational Accountability
- Ensure accountability of national and regional portfolios to delivery WASH outcomes as defined in Business Plans.
- Ensure donor promises are met or exceeded.
- Measure extent to which resourcing opportunities meet WASH operations needs and impact child well-being.
- Ensure high quality technical support is provided to National Offices on the development of Technical Approach and Technical Programs to address WASH needs.
- Ensure effective monitoring and evaluation of WASH programming, learning and sharing for quality improvement.
- Actively positions WV as the NGO of choice with potential and key partners, donors and stakeholders through quality WASH programming and evidence of impact.
- Championing WASH campaigns and resource acquisition in the field
- Participates in high level international and regional meetings, forums and conferences as required.
- Collaborates with Faith and Development actors externally as we seek to integrate faith into all our programming.
- Determines the technical capacity needs for the Field WASH teams.
- Builds capability of the Field WASH professionals and community of practice.
- Builds understanding of current footprint and identify opportunities for further growth and impact.
- Promotes a culture of innovation, collaboration and continuous improvement
- Collaborate with WVI Partnership sector leads to ensure WASH lessons are documented and disseminated.
- Collaborate with Partnership sector leaders on the development and implementation of Project Models.
- Master’s degree required in international relief and development, engineering or business, plus related professional work experience.
- Excellent in written reporting and in verbal communication in English.
- Strong experience and proven skills in leading a team of technical professionals.
- Leader with minimum 10 years’ experience designing and leading WASH programming in the developing world.
- In-depth knowledge/expertise in WASH programming including evidence based best practices.
- Strong relational and networking skills, demonstrated ability to supervise teams, and significant experience engaging with donors and fundraisers.
- Strong experience working with and managing large grant portfolios for foundations, bilateral and multilateral donors.
- Strong experience and proven skills in working effectively across cultures to advance priorities and achieve change, in situations without direct authority.
- Strong experience and proven skills in external engagement that contributes to change in policy and practice and builds WVs reputation as a leader in the industry.
- Strong experience developing strategy and policy in large organization.
- Experience in working with faith, faith actors and faith related issues in development.
- Fluency in a relevant second language (Spanish or French) is desirable.
Working Environment / Conditions
The position requires ability and willingness to travel internationally up to 40% of the time.