Master of Environmental Studies (MES) 2017-18 Adjunct Pool
The Evergreen State College seeks to create a pool of adjunct faculty able to teach Master of Environmental Studies (MES) electives on the Olympia campus during the 2017-18 academic year. Offerings in our summer curriculum are typically 2 or 4 quarter hours. Specific areas of interest to the MES Program include:
- Environmental Sciences
- Energy Studies
- Sustainability Studies
- Political Ecology
- Environmental Policy
- Qualitative / Quantitative Research
These are adjunct faculty positions and are not eligible for continuing appointment. All requirements for these positions must be completed at the time of hire. Salary for all positions is based on experience and degrees (see http://www.evergreen.edu/facultyhiring/salarygrid
for more information). We do not offer relocation expenses for our adjunct faculty positions.
The College reserves the right to extend searches or not offer positions advertised. As a condition of employment, persons hired must provide proof of identity and employment eligibility within three (3) days of beginning work. All position offers are contingent on funding. Persons with disabilities can receive accommodations in the hiring process by contacting the Faculty Hiring Coordinator. The Evergreen State College is an equal opportunity employer. Per the Collective Bargaining Agreement 29.3.2, summer faculty positions are filled first by regular continuing Evergreen faculty, current Evergreen adjunct faculty, and then community members.
Faculty are generally responsible for evaluating 15 students per MES elective, per quarter. Faculty are also responsible for advising students in their respective area(s) of expertise regarding skill development and career opportunities and possibilities.
Our students, faculty and staff create learning communities to understand environmental problems and solutions. We teach our students to develop quantitative and technical skills, think critically and creatively, communicate effectively, value diversity and equity, and work collaboratively to address environmental challenges.
A complete list of faculty responsibilities can be found in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- Master’s degree or 5 years of equivalent experience
- Teaching or professional training experience
- Experience working with diverse and underserved populations
- Willingness to use exploratory, cooperative approaches to teaching and learning
- A terminal degree in field
- College level teaching experience
- Experience teaching collaboratively in an interdisciplinary setting
- Experience teaching and mentoring groups of students who are diverse in age, work experience, and background
- Cover letter
- Curriculum Vitae or resume
- 1-2 page statement of your teaching philosophy and practice. Please focus specifically on your understanding and experience of interdisciplinary study and Masters work to serve the public interest.
- 1-2 page statement of your experience and/or practice with diversity and equity issues (more information is available on our website: http://www.evergreen.edu/facultyhiring/equitydiversity)
- List of three professional references with contact information
- We are NOT accepting reference letters so please DON’T complete the reference page of the application
- Please provide your discipline in the “Discipline” text field in the application
Evergreen is an innovative, public, liberal arts college emphasizing integrated interdisciplinary study and collaborative team-teaching throughout the undergraduate curriculum and in three graduate programs. Teaching is the central work of the faculty at both the undergraduate and graduate levels. Successful teaching at Evergreen requires broad-ranging intellectual curiosity, the ability to formulate interdisciplinary questions, and the pedagogical skills to support our diverse student population.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
Full time/Part time:
Faculty membership is unranked with salary determined on a non-competitive, open scale based on earned degrees and years of relevant experience.
Posting Detail Information
Number of Vacancies:
Academic Year 2018-19
Review Start Date:
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis to fill curricular needs.
Special Instructions to Applicant:
On the REFERENCE page of your application, do no enter reference information since you will be attaching a list of references with contact information.
Quick Link for Direct Access to Posting:
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
1. Where did you first learn of this position?
- Evergreen Website
- Evergreen Colleague/Friend
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Discipline Specific Source
- Web Search
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Teaching Philosophy Statement
- Equity and Diversity Statement
- List of References