SRP is one of the largest public power and water utilities in the U.S. providing electricity to approximately one million customers in the greater metropolitan Phoenix area. Since its founding in 1903, SRP has fostered a culture of stewardship and customer service consistently ranking as an industry leader in customer service according to J.D. Power. SRP continues to adapt to its changing business environment by seeking innovative ways to reimagine utility service and the provision of critical resources essential to the life and economy of Arizona.
The Director of Water Strategy works directly with appropriate levels of management to develop, assist in, and/or coordinate the implementation of strategies utilizing intellectual water resource knowledge and skills and SRP’s water resource assets, consistent with SRP corporate strategies, goals and objectives to support SRP’s water and power operations. Functional areas of responsibility include oversight and management of the Water Strategy department staff, collaboration and coordination of water resources strategies development and implementation with various SRP departments including Water Resources, Water Services, Legal Services, Corporate Financial Services, Corporate Accounting Services, Government Relations and others. Primary area of responsibility is to develop water resource strategies that can be implemented to support SRP’s water and power operations.
- Directs and manages staff in the Water Strategy department.
- Develops ideas, plans, programs and initiatives utilizing SRP water resource assets and water resource knowledge of current and prospective water users and water providers to market water and water related services that can be implemented to support SRP’s water and power operations. Such strategies may including marketing of water supplies and long-term storage credits, water transportation services, water storage/banking services, water storage credit recovery services, water exchange services, etc.
- Coordinates implementation of marketed water and water related services with various SRP departments including support of negotiations of various agreements.
- In coordination and cooperation with representatives of the Gila River Indian Community, oversees the day to day activities of the Gila River Water Storage, LLC and prepares reports and other information for approval and review by the LLC Board of Managers.
- Establishes and maintains strong, cooperative relationships with a variety of customers and groups including local, state and federal agencies, non-governmental organizations and a variety of SRP departments.
- Represents SRP to the public and with customers, customer groups, governmental and non-governmental organizations relative to Water Resources department activities and programs with a particular emphasis on Water Strategy department activities and programs.
- Reports activities of the Water Strategy department to the Associate General Manager overseeing the Water Resources department, and periodically to the SRP Board and Council.
- Provides input to various SRP departments including Government Relations, Water Resources, Water Services, and Legal Services on current and prospective ordinances, rules, regulations, and legislation that affects SRP’s water strategies, and water and power operations.
- Develops and maintains SRP’s advocacy role with regulatory agencies, water resource groups, technical and professional water resource organizations, and the general public on strategic water resource issues.
Completion of a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution that prepares the employee for the assignment. A bachelor’s degree in water resources, hydrology, or related natural resources field is preferred. An advanced degree is strongly preferred. Candidates holding a degree in business administration, economics, finance, history, public policy, engineering, and law, with significant experience in water resource planning, management and water rights, strategic planning, or other resource planning and management may also be considered.
Minimum of 10 years of cumulative and progressive post-degree experience required.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in water resources planning and management including a broad understanding of the water resources regulatory requirements and programs in Arizona. The person selected for this position must have a foundational understanding of SRP’s water resources and related assets, the water resources and related assets utilized, marketed and available in Arizona, with specific knowledge of water supplies and water resource assets utilized, managed, marketed, and available to current and prospective water users and providers, in the Phoenix and Pinal Active Management Areas. In addition, he or she should have a good understanding of water rights in Arizona, including those of Indian tribes, water resources issues, challenges and opportunities affecting watersheds and groundwater basins in Arizona, including the Colorado River, and have experience in preparing the candidate to effectively represent SRP with various customers, customer groups and governmental and non-governmental organizations.
Candidates must possess the ability to work effectively under pressure with multiple priorities and deadlines. Strong negotiation, interpersonal relationship building, and marketing skills are also desired. Candidates should have strong management and leadership skills; be an articulate spokesperson with exceptional interpersonal and communication skills. Applicants must have the ability to effectively work with employees, in a diverse workforce, providing motivation and clear direction. High standards of personal and professional ethics and integrity are required. The person selected for this position should exemplify SRP’s philosophy of outstanding customer service, accountability, and delegated decision making, strong employee involvement and empowerment, and the celebration of diversity.
Requisition ID: 7650
EOE – SRP encourages a diverse workforce
All candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
Currently, SRP does not sponsor H1B visas.