The International Economic Growth Division manages projects that are pioneering new approaches to agriculture, food security, climate change, and competitiveness—as well as monitoring and evaluating projects within these sectors. We work throughout Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East for chiefly governmental clients, including the US Agency for International Development (USAID), the Millennium Challenge Corporation, the Inter-American Development Bank, the Asian Development Bank, the World Bank and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
The International Economic Growth Division seeks a Principal Associate, Energy and Natural Resource Management to oversee and manage significant business development activities by obtaining additional work from existing clients or by identifying new markets and sales opportunities and direct sales and proposal efforts in accordance with the Division’s business development plan.
Principal Associates oversee the technical and scientific approaches for proposals, use technical competence to attract new clients and to open potential markets, and manage particularly complex and large projects with primary responsibility for client relations in addition to acting as technical and quality reviewers on large and complex projects. S/he may serve as lead technical design expert on projects and inform policies and protocols to carry out research by providing technical guidance to less senior staff through the application of advanced techniques, concepts and methods related to a particular field of specialization and establishing/overseeing technical protocols and procedures to carry out research by providing guidance to less senior staff through the application of advanced techniques, concepts and methods within a particular field of specialization. Collaborates with peers in other divisions of Abt Associates to identify new research approaches and potential markets for those services and direct efforts to identify and recruit substantive senior staff for the purpose of overall staff allocation and project fulfillment. Actively participates in the development of less senior staff and maintains an industry presence as a subject-matter expert by publishing regularly in peer-reviewed journals and/or by presenting at annual conferences and meetings.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Support Abt Associates’ clients in the areas of energy policy, energy project development and financing, and natural resource management, in addition to;
- Providing support to business development activities, particularly in the Asia/Pacific region and;
- Assist with identifying and developing new business opportunities for Abt’s climate change and energy practices.
- Perform assignments under existing USAID contracts such as CEADIR and Clean Power Asia in Fiscal Year 2018 and Fiscal Year 2019.
- Serve as a sales leader who takes responsibility for generating and managing a multi-million dollar revenue base annually.
- Direct proposal efforts, conduct sales briefings, and manage client relation/development activities.
- Maintain excellent business development relationships and be regarded within targeted markets as an industry expert.
- Provide oversight for the planning, design and implementation of project protocols and procedures.
- Serve as Abt’s primary point of contact for clients on the projects s/he is assigned to.
- Delegate the work of translating client needs and/or objectives into specific deliverables in a timely and cost efficient manner.
- Serve as a principal leader in business development in the areas of technical competence and as architect of the technical approach on Abt’s most important winning proposals.
- Design studies through scientific leadership, technical and/or substantive expertise that address the clients’ needs.
- Present and speak at client and professional meetings and maintain designated revenue goals.
- Principal Associates are expected to make significant contributions to winning multi-million dollar proposal efforts and maintain at least a 60% client-billability level.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Highest level of proven technical expertise and sought out as an expert within and outside Abt Associates.
- Requires significant experience in business development and client relationship management.
- Supervisory/staff development and proposal development skills also required.
- MA/MBA (15+) years of experience OR PhD (10 – 15) years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.