Global Communities is an international development non-profit organization. Our mission is to create long-lasting, positive and community-led change that improves the lives and livelihoods of vulnerable people across the globe.
Global Communities is seeking a Technical Advisor in WASH to join its office of Program Impact and Learning at our Headquarters in downtown Silver Spring, Maryland. The Technical Advisor leads the development and technical implementation of new projects, pursues new business development, provides leadership to the unit, and builds in-house technical support capacity for current field programming while ensuring that program development needs are met.
- Develops and expands sector’s business development strategy. Monitors and assesses opportunities and provides guidance on potential responses. Pursues or expands strategic partnerships. Conducts field assignments for developing new programs/proposals.
- Leads proposal development and serves as lead technical writer or reviewer on proposal teams.
- Responds to requests from the field for tools, methods, resources and best practices. Provides technical assistance in assessments, program design, and field operations.
- Ensures qualified staff and consultants are hired and oriented. Develops mechanisms for technical knowledge exchange. Provides learning opportunities for staff. Facilitates professional development. Assists with knowledge dissemination across programs.
- Identifies training needs, writes manuals and training materials, and conducts field training.
- Monitors and evaluates program quality. Ensures that programs develop sound M&E systems.
- Stays up to date on best practices. Presents Global Communities’ work and program potential at conferences.
- Coordinates public relations/marketing efforts. Develops and edits marketing materials. Expands Global Communities’ visibility and broader participation in the economic development arena.
- Undertakes all other duties and projects as may be assigned from time to time.
- Contributes to the development of processes and mechanisms to integrate technical services across Global Communities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- International development experience to include managing USG-funded programs or program components in developing countries.
- Demonstrated command over international WASH practices in a variety of sub-topics relevant to Global Communities’ core capacity and interests (e.g. water systems development, water usage, community hygiene, CLTS, water and sanitation system operation and maintenance, community financing of water infrastructure, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to design projects and write successful proposals to USAID and other donor-funded or private sector projects in developing countries.
- Demonstrated understanding of best practices, and willingness to stay abreast of and adapt to emerging approaches in WASH, behavioral change, and relevant public health issues and topics related to WASH.
- Some degree of fluency in French, Spanish, and/or Arabic preferred.
- Ability to travel approximately 30% of time.
- Demonstrated ability to design projects and write successful proposals to a variety of donors.
- Critical thinking skills and sound judgment. Proven willingness to make timely and sound decisions based on accurate judgment.
- Excellent English oral and written communication skills. Proven ability to effectively communicate with others.
- Good interpersonal skills with ability to build personal relationships with staff, donor partners and government leaders at all levels in a culturally sensitive manner. Proven flexibility and adaptability.
- Proven ability to learn quickly, apply knowledge, manage deadlines, work independently with minimal supervision on familiar assignments, submit high-quality work plans, prioritize workload, and multi-task in fast-paced environment.
- Strong team-management approach to program support and program development. Ability to integrate management approach with professional peers.
- Proven ability to effectively use databases spreadsheet, word processing, and position-specific software.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to read and interpret documents and ability to sit at a computer and operate a keyboard.
- A Master’s degree in relevant discipline and a minimum of 5-8 years of experience or a Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline and a minimum of 8-10 years of experience.
- Experience in international development field management, business development, and writing proposals for development programs.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have U.S. work authorization.
Global Communities is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. EOE/AA – Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individual with Disabilities.