Projectmanager (m/f) to support the implementation of the India-EU Water Partnership (IEWP)
Field of activity
In India many of the rivers and the related groundwater resources are heavily polluted, overexploited and disturbed in their environmental flows, and can as such no longer provide important ecosystem services. The India-EU Water Partnership (IEWP), established in 2015, means to bring together governments, businesses and other key stakeholders for the promotion of innovative approaches and the systematic implementation of existing policies as well as the elaboration of new policies and/ or guidelines on water protection, benefitting from the EU’s longstanding experiences, and vast know-how in water and river basin management, especially the EU Water Framework Directive (EU WFD).
GIZ has been contracted by the EU to provide “Development and implementation support to the IEWP”. The action is co-financed by the EU and Germany (BMZ) through the project “Support to Ganga Rejuvenation”. The purposes of the EU action have been defined as facilitating cooperation between India and a flexible coalition of EU Member States on water-related issues of mutual interest and as helping create business opportunities for EU companies having the relevant technical know-how. These purposes are interlinked with the objective of the “Support to Ganga Rejuvenation” project, to apply an integrated approach for the rehabilitation of the Ganges river by stakeholders on the national- and state level. The advisory services provided by the action will be based on the experiences gained from immediate action programmes in European River Basins and the implementation of the EU Water Framework Directive (EU WFD) and it’s Common Implementation Strategies.
IEWP is working in nine priortiy areas, including river basin management, river rejuvenation, e-flows, groundwater, irrigation, water quality monitoring, capacity building and collaboration in research.
As Project Manager (m/f) you will be responsible for steering and monitoring the EU component “Development and implementation support to the IEWP”. Particular tasks include to:
- Provide strategic oversight and coordination of the activities of the IEWP
- Coordinate with the Indian and European partners and EU Member States on all levels
- Coordinate project activities at national and state level
- Establish multiple contacts and steer knowledge exchange with European institutions from the water sector
- Provide technical advice in European water policies, river basin management and river rejuvenation
- support and promote implementation of European Water Framework Directive practices and experience
- Establish contacts with European businesses
- Manage events, conferencec, workshops to promote the IEWP
- manage and supervise international short term consultants and consulting contracts
- Monitor results and manage internal quality assurance (using Capacity WORKS)
- Network with other international and national stakeholders in the water sector
- Explore and develop strategic alliances with key partners
- Master degree in Water- or Environmental management or related fields
- Minimum 10 years of professional experience with public or private institutions in the water sector, in areas related to the IEWP’s prioroty areas mentiones above
- In depth experience with water policy issues, the European Water Framework Directive and it Common Implementation Strategies
- Profound knowledge in river basins planning and set up of river basin organisations
- Proven experience in project management, preferably in the context of international development cooperation
- Profound advisory skills, obtained in a complex and sensitive political environment
- Excellent communication and networking skills
- Fluent in German and English
- Experience in India or in the region would be a plus
01.02.2018 - 30.11.2018 (option of a lengthening)
We create prospects for people and with people. As GIZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working environment. We are committed service providers and dedicated professionals, even under difficult circumstances. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team – ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our 130 partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping your work.
Regular tavel activities within India and to Europe. National and international schools in Delhi, good medical care. At the site of operation the particulate pollution occurs to be many time higher than the European acceptable limit. As part of the selection process and during the recruitment examination you will be informed of appropriate protective and behavioral measures.
If we caught your interest, we are looking forward to your application until 19.12.2017.
++49 - (0)6196 - 79 - 2130