Potomac Riverkeeper Network (PRKN) is a $3 million dollar cutting edge nonprofit organization dedicated to stopping pollution and restoring clean water in the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers and their tributaries through community engagement and enforcing environmental laws. Potomac Riverkeeper Network’s primary office is Georgetown, Washington DC, with field offices in Virginia and Maryland, and has a membership of more than 1,200 people. Over the past three years PRKN has risen to prominence in the region by building first rate programs, supported by a network of much larger nonprofits and by development efforts responsible for doubling revenue and staffing. This is an exciting opportunity for a seasoned development professional to take advantage of our momentum and move the organization to the next level.
Essential Management Functions and Responsibilities
The primary role of the Director of Development is to create and implement Potomac Riverkeeper Network’s overall development strategy and efforts to raise about $1.3 million per year in private and institutional donations. Responsibilities include managing and aligning organizational communications to partners and donors, messaging, branding, outreach and member/volunteer engagement, and development of external relationships (non-legal) in concert to generate income from foundation grants, individual giving, special events, etc. This position works collaboratively with President, Board, VP of Programs and Litigation and Communications Team to develop fundraising strategies and systems to cultivate relationships with funders and donors.
Work with the President to develop and implement an annual budget for the Development Department. This budget will be designed to cover all development expenses. This is a central and highly strategic role, reporting to the President and working as part of the Executive Management Team and with members of the Board. Responsibilities Include:
- Provide leadership, support and supervision to the Development Department’s staff and contractors
- Developing and managing the annual budget for the Development Department
- Spending, tracking, aligning and managing the development department’s annual budget costs through the year
- Envision, initiate, schedule and produce all necessary development materials and communications in their respective formats
- Participate in, and lead where appropriate, opportunities for Board members regarding development and communications’ priorities, strategies, partnerships and approaches.
Foundation & Institutional Grants
Principally responsible for creating and implementing the foundation grants fundraising plan to reach annual budgeted goals.
- Work closely with President to develop strategies for maintaining and diversifying foundation support.
- Research potential funding sources, implement prospecting and cultivation strategies. Manage relationships with approximately 24 foundation funders in collaboration alongside the Vice President of Program and Litigation and the President.
- Work closely with program staff and VP of Program and Litigation to write, package, and submit grant proposals, grant reports, and related materials to a high standard of quality and in a timely manner.
- Work with Director of Finance to ensure appropriate and timely foundation proposal budgeting and reporting • Manage foundation fundraising systems and files, including tracking deadlines and grant requirements and coordinating correspondence.
- Maintain grant records and manage the delivery of deadlines and reports.
Corporate Partners Program
- Work with communications consultants to launch corporate giving program which has been under development for over a year.
- Coordinate with the President and Riverkeepers to continue relationships with river outfitters who also contribute to our program work.
Individual Gifts and Membership Development
Direct efforts to increase non-grant income, including funding from individuals and corporations:
- Maintain fundraising calendar with grants, events, appeals, and other fundraising efforts.
- Solicit and strategize on each major donor in concert with the President through face-face contact, mailings, and online membership campaigns.
- Working with consultants, write content and oversee development for newsletter, enews, materials for mailings, events, website, and social media.
- Maintain participation in workplace giving campaigns (EarthShare & CFC).
- Oversee effective organization of donor database, systems, and files, including correspondence such as thank you letters and updates.
- Staff the Board Development Committee.
- Manage and implement Salesforce database input representing new members, new donations, and all related advancement or changes to our donor base.
- Work with the Governance Committee and the President to identify and cultivate board prospects.
Direct event planning for major fundraising functions:
- Serve as lead planner and strategist for Annual Law and Water Gala. Set fundraising goals, develop and actualize host committee and draft event budget. Work with vendors and event committee to identify the venue, develop the menu, secure auction items, and coordinate communications around the event.
- Develop and implement a series of friend-raisers/special donor events to reward high level or high potential donors and create time for relationship building. • Organize and develop a series of house parties with board members and major donors.
- At least 5 years of on-the-job nonprofit fundraising experience
- A successful track record
- Specific experience with major gifts and corporate giving
- High degree of organizational skill and ability to prioritize
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- High energy and an interest in protecting the environment.
Excellent benefits package. Competitive salary, negotiable depending on experience and qualifications. Start Date: Early 2018.
To apply: Please send thoughtful cover letter, resume and references as a single PDF to jobs(at)prknetwork.org. Please no phone calls.