UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
ECR strategy is to:
- Strengthen UNOPS role in operationalizing the Sustainable Development Goals with particular emphasis on health, environment and economic development.
- Position UNOPS in the Balkan sub-region, the Caucasus and Central Asia.
- Strengthen the implementation of ECR global and regional programmes, with revitalized partnerships in infrastructure, procurement and project management.
ECR operates global portfolios from offices in Geneva, Brussels and New York, and country-specific programmes from its operations and project centres located in Eastern Europe and Central Asian countries.
The overall objective of this assignment is to disseminate information on the results of the SGP. As the SGP has generated a diverse range of results, it is highly pertinent to capture these results and the lessons that they bring to celebrate and promote the 25th anniversary of the UNDP SGP programme. It is also important to provide such information in a way to trigger and promote opportunities for replication of these efforts at a national and international level.
To facilitate the achievement of this objective, the Consultant will be tasked the following responsibilities.
The Consultant will work in close cooperation with the SGP Project Coordinator, to fulfil the following tasks:
- Create 15 Photo essays (4 created with travel to project sites, 11 created remotely with locally-generated photographs and text)
- Support the creation of a 40-50 page commemorative publication to celebrate and promote the 25th anniversary of the UNDP SGP programme,
Support the implementation of the social media campaign to promote the photo essays and the publication. Working closely with UNDP offices, this will include designing and implementing a campaign to promote the content of the photo essays and commemorative publication. Includes promotion via UNDP and UNDP Climate Twitter accounts, UNDP Facebook, Exposure, and other social media promotion as directed, as well as leveraging partnerships with relevant stakeholders to increase prominence of projects.
Expected outputs include:
- Missions to project sites in 4 locations to take photos, conduct interviews, and gather information for photo essays and for use in publication;
- Visit project sites and take photos, interviewing project staff and project beneficiaries;
- Make high resolution project photos available in a digital format suitable for large-size color printing (i.e. 300dpi RAW, .tiff, and/or .jpeg formats; with appropriate cropping, color adjustments, noise reduction and other post-processing; Accompanied with caption and/or embedded metadata, specifying activities depicted, location, date and time, name of subjects, photographer name and any other relevant details.) Modify in Adobe PhotoShop and/or Adobe Lightroom, crop, etc. as needed. Add to the relevant SGP Flickr account and SGP photo database and make available to project team;
- Creating 4 Photo Essays from this content and promote via UNDP Facebook and Twitter (aligning promotion with the SGP’s practical outreach campaign);
- Create 11 Photo essays remotely with locally-generated photographs and text
- Support the creation of a 40-50 page commemorative publication to celebrate and promote the 25th anniversary of the SGP programme,
- Contribute to the development of visual communications products and other visual media including infographics related to the 25th anniversary campaign
- Contribute to the development and implementation of the planned targeted outreach campaign;
- Promote above products via UNDP and UNDP Climate Twitter and Facebook (with a combined 2 million+ followers)
- Seek to incorporate project details and highlights in broader UNDP publications;
- Seek additional opportunities for exposure for the SGP 25th anniversary outreach products via UNDP and broader UN, and external media outlets; and
- Draft an M&E report detailing completed works, number of views and promotion
Masters’ degree in communications, journalism, environmental issues or management or related field such as: environmental management & governance, project management, international development, etc. Bachelor’s degree may accepted in lieu of additional number of years of experience.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant professional experience managing information and highlighting global activities in areas of climate change, biodiversity, land degradation is required.
- At least 4 years of experience in management and implementation of similar materials on climate change and adaptation issues
- Experience in UNDP or similar organization projects, experience in climate change adaptation projects particularly on integrated climate change/biodiversity/sustainable land management is considered to be an asset;
- At least 3 years’ experience with creating communication products.
- Experience in photography and design of photo essays;
- Contributions to publications on eco-system based approach considered an asset.
- Priority Setting: Sets priorities, produces quality outputs, and manages time efficiently to work to extremely challenging deadlines.
- Technical Knowledge: Demonstrates sufficient technical knowledge to perform effectively in own specialty. Demonstrated ability to take content and lay it out as attractive, accessible and engaging materials for a wide variety of global, multi-cultural audiences.
- Client Needs: Anticipates evolving client needs; maintains strong relationships with partners and clients
- Self Management: Well-organized, critical and creative thinker, and able to work independently
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.|
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type: ICA Retainer
Contract level: ICA-2
Contract duration: 12 months
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.