Program Officer (Integrated Water Resources Management for Livelihood Development in Afghanistan)
The International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD) is a regional intergovernmental learning and knowledge sharing centre serving the eight regional member countries of the Hindu Kush Himalaya (HKH) – Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, India, Myanmar, Nepal, and Pakistan. Working in partnership with regional and international organizations, ICIMOD aims to influence policy and practices to meet environmental and livelihood challenges emerging in the HKH. ICIMOD provides a platform for researchers, practitioners, and policy makers from the region and around the globe to generate and share knowledge, support evidence-based decision making, and encourage regional cooperation. ICIMOD delivers impact through its six Regional Programmes: 1) Adaptation and Resilience Building, 2) Transboundary Landscapes, 3) River Basins and Cryosphere, 4) Atmosphere, 5) Mountain Environment Regional Information System, and 6) Mountain Knowledge and Action Networks. These regional programmes are supported by four Thematic Areas of Livelihoods, Ecosystem Services, Water and Air, and Geospatial Solutions, and underpinned by Knowledge Management and Communication. ICIMOD seeks to reduce poverty and vulnerability and improve the lives and livelihoods of mountain women and men, now and in the future.
ICIMOD is looking for a Programme Officer for its new initiative, “Integrated Water Resources Management for Livelihood Development in Afghanistan”. The Programme Officer will be based at the ICIMOD liaison office in Kabul, Afghanistan and will travel to the ICIMOD headquarters in Kathmandu, Nepal, as and when required. S/he is expected to support the Programme Coordinator with the coordination, monitoring and evaluation, and project management of a multi-country, multi-annual initiative.
Responsibilities and tasks
Under the direct supervision of the Programme Coordinator, in close cooperation with the Initiative team and under the overall guidance of the Regional Programme Manager, the Programme Officer will be responsible for the following:
- Proactively supporting the Programme Coordinator in the coordination and management of all initiative activities and ensuring effective oversight of the project management cycle.
- Monitoring of the programme activities and budget, including those of key partners using given templates and Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) database in close collaboration with the Finance and Administration Unit and the Strategic Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation (SPM&E) Unit.
- Coordinating initiative activities, such as partnership management, communication, and event and programme management.
- Preparing draft progress reports for donors.
- Following up with partners on their contracts, reports, and deliverables on a regular and timely basis.
- Reviewing and summarizing partners’ reports in relation to contractual agreements.
More specifically, the Programme Officer will perform the following tasks:
- Support the Programme Coordinator in the management of all initiative activities according to initiative documents, project management cycle, work plans and partner agreements.
- Provide support in the monitoring, review, and evaluation of initiative activities, including tracking partners’ progress using given M&E templates in close collaboration with the SPM&E Unit.
- Support the Programme Coordinator in the timely collection, review, and compilation of partners’ progress reports and financial statements.
- Prepare consolidated draft progress reports, both financial and technical, and any other required reports.
- Monitor the programme budget, track programme expenditure within the relevant unit, and give feedback on over and under spending to Programme Coordinator and component leads within the initiative.
- Provide relevant budget calculations and input to annual budgeting plans.
- Ensure that funds are transferred on time to the relevant stakeholders and partners.
- Coordinate regular meetings and flow of information with the initiative’s component leads and core team members.
- Ensure timely communication with stakeholders and partner institutions and provide timely and appropriate information as needed.
- Manage the allocation of programme resources (human, financial, and material) in close coordination with the Programme Coordinator.
- Take minutes of meetings and prepare workshop reports.
- Coordinate events, conferences, and workshops.
- Represent the Programme Coordinator at project meetings and workshops as and when required.
- Assist in any other issues as and when required by the Programme Coordinator.
- Master’s in Business AdministrationFinancial Management or Environmental ScienceSocial ScienceInternational Relations with a background in project management, monitoring and evaluation, and communication.
- Experience working in international organizations focusing on large-scale environmentaldevelopment projects.
- Minimum two years of relevant experience supporting the coordination of development projects or similar initiatives.
- Exceptional candidates with a proven track record, excelling in their studies and/or in previous jobs with less experience may also be considered.
- Demonstrated interest in environmental and social issues in mountain areas.
- High-level report writing skills (in English) and excellent analytical skills with the ability to understand and contextualize research results.
- Excellent MS Office skills, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint as well as good working understanding of any one data management software.
- A higher level of skills in English and Afghan languages.
- Teamwork and cooperation: Ability to work effectively and smoothly across multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams and take actions to build a cohesive work climate in which all members are included. Solicits ideas and opinions to help form specific decisions and plans.
- Result orientation: Ability to proactively approach the smooth organisation of internal processes; ability to work independently with a strong sense of initiative, discipline, and self-motivation
- Cross cultural impact: Able to adapt personal style, manners and communication to accommodate various cultures and to find appropriate ways to demonstrate ICIMOD values. Finds solutions in case of misunderstanding
- Analytical thinking: Able to analyze data, to make a decision when needed on less than complete data, able to brings different viewpoints into the decision-making process and to set priorities among competing interests
- Networking/stakeholder management: Ability to effectively communicate with stakeholders about operational issues through telephone, email, and face-to-face meetings; maintain effective working relations. Able to handle difficult conversations in a professional matter.
- Impactful Communication: Effectively presents, explains and discusses more complex ideas; Ability to convince others. Demonstrates active listening skills and integrates ideas from different people and sources;
- Behavioural flexibility and managing change: Able to easily adapt to new situations and changes at work and to adopt a positive approach to change; Adjusts activities and behaviour willingly when responsibilities or circumstances change
- Continuous improvement & innovation: Stays abreast with changing approaches and technologies; recommends improvements to situations and challenges within own area of expertise; Questions status quo practices/traditions and assumptions
Kabul, Afghanistan with some travel to the ICIMOD Headquarters, Kathmandu, Nepal, as and when required.
Two years, with a six month probation period, starting as early as possible, with a possibility of extension subject to performance and ICIMOD’s future funding levels.
Salaries and benefits at ICIMOD are competitive compared to other regional organizations; remuneration is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Gender and Equity Policy
Qualified and eligible women candidates and those from disadvantaged backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply. ICIMOD implements a gender fair policy and is supportive of working women. It operates a Day-Care Centre at the campus and is committed to gender mainstreaming at the organisational and programmatic levels.
Method of application
Applicants are requested to apply online before 21 Dec 2017 through ICIMOD's online application system.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.