Urban Development Specialist
Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB's mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB's main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance.
The position is assigned in the Urban Development and Water Division (SAUW) within the South Asia Department (SARD) but will be an outposted position to India Resident Mission in New Delhi, India. SARD is responsible for providing leadership innovation, lending, project implementation and knowledge sharing for ADB's sector and thematic work that covers operations in Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, and Sri Lanka. And, SAUW, is responsible for sector support for water and urban development.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Urban Development Specialist contributes to the formulation and articulation of policy and strategies on urban and water sector in developing member countries (DMCs). Lead in identifying, developing, processing, implementing and administering loans, technical assistance (TA) projects, and provides relevant stakeholders with necessary technical support and knowledge for projects. The incumbent will report to the Director of SAUW for SAUW related work and to Country Director, INRM for INRM related tasks, under the guidance of Principal Urban Specialist (outposted to INRM) and may supervise one or more National and Administrative staff.
- Process and administer subregional and DMC specific loan, grant, and TAs in the areas of urban and water sector development, with due attention to country's development policies, projects' impacts on climate change.
- Develop new lending program in the sector including water supply, wastewater management, sanitation, drainage, solid waste management, housing, urban planning, and municipal governance/finance.
- Closely coordinate with resident missions (RMs) and work in consultation with country director, India Resident Mission and outposted SAUW staff in identifying, developing, implementing and administering loans, TA projects, and non-lending products and services (NLPS) for the urban sector in South Asia.
- Continuously assess urban and water sector development policies, strategies and programs with a view of ensuring comparability to best practices and responsiveness to development needs of DMCs.
- Identify the priority areas in the urban and water sectors and the modality and nature of the required technical assistance support
- Assist SARD Management with guidance on inquiries related to urban and water sector development and urban environmental improvement and relevant sector governance reforms
- Maintain strategic partnership with external partners for knowledge and project opportunities. Respond to external inquiries as needed.
- Collaborate and disseminate content on SARD operations in water resources management. Lead relevant in-house studies and seminars and prepare reports or policy briefs on topics crucial to ADB's urban and water sector operations.
- Lead, supervise, and support reporting staff, including their performance and development.
- Please refer to the link for ADB job family standards
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master's degree in civil engineering, environmental engineering, urban and regional planning, urban management, economics. Alternatively, master's degree in general fields combined with additional relevant professional experience on in urban infrastructure, urban regional planning, urban management, economics or other related fields, can be considered
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant professional experience in urban development and water including international work experience in several countries
Broad experience in the preparation of investment projects and analysis of relevant development policies
- Must have managerial skills and experience leading professionals, teams, and missions for technical matters, projects, decisions in food security.
- Significant expertise within a specific area of ADB's operations (economic, sector or thematic), or breadth across multiple areas with in-depth knowledge within one area
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required
- Proficient or advanced competency level in Client Orientation, Achieving Results and Problem Solving and Knowledge Sharing
- For other competencies, relevant to the position, please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Levels 1 - 4
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers a competitive remuneration and comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will depend on the selected individual's qualifications and experience.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 member countries.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of ADB member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.