Prospect Research Associate
EDF’s Prospect Research team is expanding in order to support our growing organization. Under the supervision of the Manager, Prospect Research the new Prospect Research Associate position researches, analyzes, and recommends strategy for new prospects and for new opportunities with existing donors and prospects, with a focus on both Foundation and Major Gift opportunities (both in the US and internationally).
- Conducts reactive research and prepares briefing materials for events and meetings, with emphasis on constituents’ wealth, interests (including philanthropic interests) and relationships and analysis thereof.
- Assesses capacity, interests, philanthropy and relationships to qualify the viability of prospects suggested by staff and volunteers.
- Identifies/maps relationships of volunteers and deeply engaged donors for the purpose of identifying new prospects.
- Examines results of wealth and philanthropy screenings of Membership donors to identify those with potential to make major gifts.
- Identifies potential foundation prospects from external sources including Foundation Directory Online and Chronicle of Philanthropy.
- Identifies potential major gift prospects from external sources including the Eco-Rich List, lists of top players in key industries from which significant opportunities for support have been identified, annual reports from organizations with like programmatic focus areas, etc.
- Identifies and assesses viability of new opportunities for government grants.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- 1-2 years of experience in Prospect Research, including experience with targeted Google searches, Salesforce, LexisNexis, NOZA, Foundation Directory Online, RelSci, and other common sources.
- Experience with analyzing Securities & Exchange Commission filings and other financial data a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to peruse large volumes of information, find the details relevant to fundraising, present findings and recommendations clearly, concisely and accurately a must.
- Candidate must be a self-starter, detail oriented, well-organized, and able to plan and execute projects from conception to completion.
- Ability to produce and manage multiple requests at one time is essential.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Environmental Defense Fund is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.