The China Program Officer will work as a core member of the GGGI China country team and will report directly to the China Country Representative. The role of the candidate is primarily to design, manage and deliver programmatic project management and deliverables with key government and institutional stakeholders in China, other Member Countries, and GGGI HQ. The role will also include leading logistical and operational activities on the ground, ranging from events and meetings, to communications and serving as representative Office functionary.
Based in Seoul, The Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) is an intergovernmental organization founded to support and promote a model of economic growth known as “green growth”, which targets key aspects of economic performance such a poverty reduction, job creation, social inclusion, and environmental sustainability. GGGI works with countries around the world, building their capacity and working collaboratively on green growth policies that can impact the lives of millions. The organization partners with countries, multilateral institutions, government bodies, and private sector to help build economies that grow strongly and are more efficient and sustainable in the use of natural resources, less carbon intensive, and more resilient to climate change.
GGGI supports stakeholders through complementary and integrated workstreams – Green Growth Planning & Implementation and Knowledge Solutions – that deliver comprehensive products designed to assist in developing, financing, and mainstreaming green growth in national economic development plans.
The China Program Officer will support the direct delivery of GGGI’s China program, including stakeholder engagement, program development, and multilateral knowledge sharing product development, activities and events.
The responsibilities will include:
- Lead the technical delivery and development of GGGI’s service offerings in China and other partner Countries, with a sectoral focus’ on Green Cities, Clean Energy, Finance and Environmental Mitigation strategies.
- Design and deliver advisory and technical assistance to the Government of China and other key stakeholders on the implementation and further mainstreaming of GGGI’s knowledge sharing and green transition strategy.
- Support the China Country Team to provide policy and investment advisory services to the Government of China and other countries in developing knowledge sharing plans, identifying financing mechanisms and generating bankable projects, and coordination of multilateral programs such as South South Cooperation activities.
- Support strategic communications with GGGI internal and external stakeholders, including Chinese government, international institutions and other parties.
- Act as a trusted advisor to the Government of China and program partners in promoting green growth.
- Coordinate with program partners, especially development partners, civil society, academia and the private sector.
- Design and deliver capacity building and outreach events, such as workshops, conferences and trainings.
- Assist with program administrative tasks, including procurement, financial compliance and others, as required.
- Prepare and quality assure the project deliverables, internal reporting and evaluation, and external communications products.
- Manage consultants, interns and other staff, as required.
- Liaise with other GGGI headquarters departments and country programs.
- Other duties, as required from time-to-time.
- Manage a wide range of activities, including planning, implementation, monitoring and improvement. The successful candidate will need to have excellent communication skills both internal and external, as he/she will communicate with multiple stakeholders groups, while at the same time capture and disseminate lessons learned in coordination with GGGI headquarters and country offices.
- Build and maintain relationships with China’s government, business associations, development agencies, non-governmental organizations, and relevant private sector players operating in China and the region, to collaborate and establish partnerships, where appropriate, to ensure the effective delivery of the China program.
- Support the government and stakeholders to design and implement green growth knowledge sharing strategies and action plans related to Green Cities, Clean Energy, Finance and Environmental Mitigation strategies.
- Advise and support on technical aspects of knowledge products involving Green Cities Policy , Clean Energy Deployment, Finance and Environmental Mitigation strategies
- Manage multiple, complex, impact-based, multi-phased projects on time and on budget.
- Achieve synergies between the various workstreams of the program (Energy, Water, Green Cities)
- Advanced university degree in a relevant field, such as economics, finance, business administration, public administration, clean energy policy, and urban policy/planning. Graduate degree preferred;
- Substantive relevant experience (minimum 10 years), with project management, strategic communications and interaction with Chinese government;
- Strong knowledge of the policy, regulations and rules of the Government of China, especially with regard to green development, climate change, energy, investment and/or public policy;
- Experience working with a range of stakeholder groups (e.g. corporate, academic, governmental and non-governmental organizations);
- Capacity to think creatively in addressing policy and operational issues while maintaining a strong client and results orientation;
- Native Chinese speaker. Strong written and oral communication skills in English and Mandarin Chinese.
- Experience in at least one of the following areas: renewable energy, energy efficiency, cities and the financing of cities, public policy analysis, infrastructure project development/assessment/finance, economic/financial analysis of infrastructure investment
- Experience with clean energy and sustainable cities planning and climate finance and mitigation is a plus.
- Strong experience working together with, or within, Chinese government is a plus.
- Strong analytical and modeling skills, with full knowledge of excel functions.