The position of WASH Adviser under the SDI project will help ensure the implementation of activities as it relates to Water, Sanitation and Hygiene in the context the 7 point plan and overall achievement of output 1.1 and 1.2 of this project require to address diarrhoea prevention and management. In the regard, the availability of adequate and safe drinking water is crucial to the reduction of water borne diseases, such as diarrhoea. During the assessment of Shomolu, the target LGA, it was observed that the vast majority of the communities have no or poor access to safe drinking water. Activities planned to achieve output 1.2 are primarily focused on contributing to the elimination of open defecation in Shomolu LGA. By the end of this programme, the WASH Adviser will be responsible for all effort design under the SDI programme to substantially reduce open defecation across the target LGA. Specifically, the Adviser will facilitates the introduction of CLTS approach in target communities with the aim of completely eliminating open defecation in Shomolu LGA. In addition, the preferred staff will strengthen the capacity of specific community structures, government institutions in coordination with other peer organizations to ensure the sustenance of the SDI intervention
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Chief of Party;
Staff directly reporting to this post: WASH Coordinator and Officer
Budget responsibility: Yes
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Facilitate effective and timely implementation of all interventions outlined under output 1.1, 1.2 and any other related and cross cutting programme activities related to WASH on the SDI project.
- Make technical input into the planning and design of project specific operational researches, including baseline and end line evaluation related WASH on the SDI signature project
- Work closely with State/LGA authorities to ensure all WASH interventions deployed in the communities, facilities and schools alignment with the 7 point plan aimed at the prevention and management of diarrhoea.
- Work together with other staff/ to ensure that key trainings meets the standard required to facilitate provide knowledge and reinforcement of desired behaviour and practices as it relates to open defecation free (ODF) regime.
- Be able to systemically review DIP/budget and other key implementation tools with the hope of initiating innovative approaches that will open new frontiers for learning on the 7 point plan.
Planning, Documentation and Budgeting:
- Develop activity plans and budgets for technical support activities related to WASH.
- Participate in the preparation of overall work plan and budget for WASH activities programme in Lagos State
- Collaborate with relevant ministries and other relevant partners at the state, local government and community levels to ensure integration and high level implementation of all WASH activities on the signature project.
- Participate in developing different levels of progress report and supporting PQA on WASH interventions.
Representation and relationships
- Actively participate in State/LGA level technical working groups on WASH relevant to policy forums.
- Actively contribute to national policies/strategies on WASH.
- Support advocacy colleagues with technical messaging on WASH, external reports and publications.
- Work closely with other thematic teams in Nigeria Country office and the Lagos State offices in support of SDI signature project.
- Ensure the maintenance of healthy partnerships with relevant government counterparts and other partners at Federal, State, Local government level in the community in the management of WASH related interventions.
- Other – Other ad hoc tasks as requested by Line Manager
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self-accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- A highly experienced and broad based development worker with postgraduate qualification in public health and specialisation in environment or health education. Other related post graduate qualifications related to water and sanitations with at least 7 years progressive experience in WASH programming will be giving priority consideration.
- Essential: basic training in WASH programming
- Essential: at least 5 years programming experience with I/NGO in Nigeria
- Essential: very good understanding of national WASH policies and strategies, programmes and stakeholders in Nigeria
- Essential: Demonstrable management experience and very good understanding of child survival issues, school and common childhood illnesses in Nigeria
- Essential: very good understanding of school community safer water and hygiene practice in Nigeria will be added advantage.
- Desirable: Experience in community based interventions in Nigeria
- Desirable: Master trainer and good facilitator.
- Desirable: analytical & research skills, experience in conducting health systems research, ability to analyse data using SPSS/ EPInfo/ STATA etc
- Work experience in health/public health and or in a health/public health organisation, including as a trainer.
- Experience with providing institutional support and technical assistance to development partners, government/community institutions
- Ability to work effectively both independently (with minimal supervision) and as a member of a team