We are seeking candidates for WASH Managers/Team Leaders for short-term emergency consultancies in the region which may include startup activities, technical support, partner secondment and project management in complex field locations. Consultancies will be confirmed and assigned based on mission need. The postings require a high degree of resilience, resourcefulness, technical expertise and safety and security awareness.
SCOPE OF WORK:
Scope of work will vary according to assignment, but in general the WASH Manager is responsible for overseeing the implementation of all water, sanitation and hygiene promotion activities in the assigned field location. She/ He will provide technical and managerial leadership to the watsan and hygiene promotion teams in these locations and ensure all activities are of high quality and respond to immediate needs.
- In coordination with the Field Coordinator establish contacts with relevant international/local NGOs and line ministries in the area of operation;
- Ensure that all projects in target locations are implemented in a timely and professional manner, according to objectives, goals and indicators established by SPHERE and partner/organizational standards and in line with donor requirements and beneficiary needs;
- Conduct routine assessments as needed to determine the water, sanitation and hygiene needs within your target locations; this will also include evaluation of ongoing technical interventions and make recommendations as needed.
- With assistance of the Field Coordinator develop a WASH Strategy which must include technical specifications, if required for the installation of all water and sanitation infrastructure in supported medical facilities, including requirements for any mobile health units and host communities including but not limited to repair and O&M of existing boreholes, restoration of existing earth dams (Haffirs), improved hand dug wells, construction of demonstration latrines, hygiene campaigns, hygiene promotion activities including distributions;
- In coordination with the Field Coordinator, assist with technical support and capacity building for WASH staff under your direct management.
- Ensure all implementation plans employ a programming approach that integrates the needs of other sectors of work especially Health
- Monitor budgets, materials, equipment and supplies for technical work for your program locations and allocated budgets;
- When requested by the Field Coordinator, provide regular reports, document results and maintain detailed records of progress and monitoring schedules for activities in your locations.
- At end of assignments, provide comprehensive handover of responsibilities to field colleagues for effective and high quality continuity of program.
Human Resources Management
- Recruit, directly manage and technically supervise the Watsan and Hygiene Promotion officers in your target location
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Take responsibility for discussing job expectations, performance, and objectives on an informal, quarterly basis with all the WASH staff in your targeted location
- Overall responsibility for WASH work plans, vacation schedules, and staff training/development activities in your targeted locations
- Adhere to and act in accordance with Global HR Policies and Procedures
Grant Monitoring & Partner Management
- Manage and advise contractors implementing programs on behalf of and in partnership in all your supported sites.
- Select and implement, in line with the WASH Strategy, an appropriate monitoring and evaluations systems; analyzing results to ensure and enhance program effectiveness and quality. Ensure that all monitoring activities and results are shared with your line manager and if requested by your line manager to the Senior Management Team.
- With support from the Field Coordinator, assure appropriate and timely spending of grants to achieve program goals, grant reporting contributions, use and distribution of supplies and resources.
- Actively contribute to proposal writing and strategy development
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of the team; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to management and liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for programs
- Any other duties as assigned by the Field Coordinator to enable and develop programs
All staff are required to adhere to code of conduct and other professional standards and country employment policies.
- University degree in civil/environmental engineering or related field;
- Minimum 3 years professional technical experience in Environmental Health, roads, structures and/or water delivery/production;
- Minimum 2 years overseas experience, preferably in a conflict or post disaster setting;
- Solid managerial skills and experience in an international multi-cultural setting;
- Strong project planning, organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills;
- Proven technical writing skills;
- Budget management experience of $1,000,000 USD+
- Competent in Windows, MS office programs, AutoCAD (or similar computer aided design), email and database experience;
- Interpersonal qualities: Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure in a professional manner
- Safety and security aware, driven and self-starting, resilient and emotionally intelligent;
- Fluent in spoken and written English, and any local language skills are a plus
The positions will likely be based in complex field locations for periods up to three-months with medium to high security risk and basic living conditions.