WASH & DRR Programme Manager
Mission East is in search of a qualified and enthusiastic manager for their cross-border WASH and DRR programme in Tajikistan-Afghanistan. You will be based at Mission East’s office in Dashtak, Khalaikhumb in Tajikistan, close to the border with Afghanistan. From there you are expected to regularly visit our activities in Nusai, Afghanistan. Monthly you will be expected to attend management meetings at our office in Dushanbe, Tajikistan.
The objectives of the position are:
- provide more than 20,000 people with sustainable and hygienic water and sanitation systems;
- realise improved health and hygienic practices in the targeted communities;
- implement DRR mitigation measures, both the soft and hard components,
- support advocacy for inclusive DRR on up to national level.
Mission East is a Danish relief and development organization. Our mission is to help vulnerable populations, support their capacities to organize and assist themselves, through activities ranging from disaster relief to development assistance. As well as direct implementation, our organization works with and through local and international partners in order to enhance the relevance, impact and sustainability of our programmes. The organizational values that we strive for are: honesty, integrity, compassion, valuing the individual, and respect for all people.
We currently have offices and programmes in: Afghanistan, Armenia, Iraq, Nepal and Tajikistan. In addition, we support programmes in Myanmar and North Korea. We are member of EU-CORD network, Integral Alliance, VOICE (European platform for humanitarian NGOs), CONCORD, Globalt Fokus (Danish development CSO platform), the CHS Alliance and ISOBRO (Danish umbrella organisation for ethical charity fundraising). Institutional donors include the Danish and German Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the European Commission: Mission East has held an ECHO FPA since 1993 and has a PVO status with USAID. In addition, our organization has a strong private donor support.
Our WASH-DRR programme
The primary objective of our WASH-DRR programme in Tajikistan is to improve the livelihood of local communities by reducing the incidence of water-borne diseases in the communities and by strengthening their disaster risk reduction measures.
To effectively fight water borne diseases we apply a three-fold approach: we construct 1) village water supply systems and 2) public and household latrines and 3) we intensively promote improvement of individual hygienic practices.
To strengthen the communities’ resilience against disasters we focus on two elements: 1) building local capacity to respond to and mitigate natural hazards, and 2) promote for inclusive DRR through awareness-raising and local and national level advocacy.
We work with a demand-driven approach in which participation of, and contribution by communities is essential. With regard to WASH the international SPHERE standards are our quality guideline. With regard to DRR the Sendai Framework is guiding.
Your objectives under this programme will be to:
- Build water systems and latrines in 24 communities in Afghanistan and Tajikistan.
- Train the same 24 communities on improved health and hygiene practices.
- Strengthen or introduce for the first time community-based DRR measures in 24 communities – this includes the formation of village disaster risk management boards, organizing village risk assessments, and following the design of DRM plans.
- Organize the retrofitting of two schools in Afghanistan.
- Organize a series of small and medium scale infrastructural disaster mitigation works – such as gabion walls, bridges etc.
- Promote inclusive DRR on national and local level – policy review, development of measuring mechanism and training material, and organization of trainings.
Key characteristic of our programme is the cross-border element. You will be responsible for organizing cross-border training, visit and collaboration with regard to WASH and DRR, in order to support cross-national communication and stabilization in this border area of Tajikistan and Afghanistan.
Your position in our team
- You will be managed by our Country Director Tajikistan, based in Dushanbe. Your recruitment and HR matters will be taken up by and with HQ Brussels.
- You will be part of our senior management team in Tajikistan, leading a programme team of about 10-20 people.
- Your team will exist out of a sub-team responsible for the inclusive DRR project, and a sub-team responsible for the combined, cross-border WASH-DRR project.
- Office management will be part of your task too.
You will have, via the Country Director, lines of communication with our office in Denmark (private fundraising), in Brussels (programme management, institutional fundraising and donor liaison) and in Dushanbe (country programme management and HRM).
Length of contract
Annual contracts, renewal subject depending on performance and funding. It is Mission East’s intention to have the same PM for a continuous period of at least 30 months.
PATRIP Foundation, KfW Germany
- Management of project implementation according to annual plans
- Monitoring of projects’ progress, quantity and quality of goods used
- Budget management, including expenditure forecasts
- Technical training and personal coaching of the projects’ team members
- Application of our organizational safety and security guidelines
- Coordination with relevant government authorities and other (I)NGOs
Reporting & communication
- Conduct baseline, mid-term, and end line surveys as appropriate
- Collection of data through application of sound monitoring system
- Write progress reports as per internal and donor requirements in collaboration with HQ Brussels
- Monthly collaboration with finance administration in Dushanbe and Brussels and regular provision of input into the financial reporting
- Provision of information as per need in audits and evaluation of the projects that are part of this programme
- Contribute constructively to the communication conditions for the various projects
- Train staff on WASH and DRR as per jointly identified need
- Ensure that our programme is and remains to be inclusive to women, elderly and to people with disabilities
- Ensure our individual projects all meet appropriate sector standards and uses evidence-based methods for WASH and DRR (SPHERE, PHAST, CHAST, BEHAVE, etc.).
- Be involved in the development of new project proposals related to WASH and DRR and contribute to Mission East’s policy and position papers on WASH and DRR as per need.
Office and HR management
Support to the operation of our sub-offices in Dashtak and Nusai, with administrative and financial oversight on matters such as recruitment and procurement procedure, vehicle allocation, resource distribution, staff timings and contributions etc.
Mission East expects her staff to perform other reasonable tasks, in cases of need, as required.
Qualifications, skills and experience
We are in search of a technical and managerial expert with a higher education qualification (degree or equivalent) in engineering related to WASH and/ or DRR, and an experience of more than 5 years in both fields.
We expect the candidates applying to have:
- Excellent technical skills (educational qualification) and experience in both WASH and DRR
- Demonstrable understanding of the relation between public health and WASH
- If lacking knowledge in one of these two fields, the candidate should come with a concrete plan how to upgrade knowledge within a very short timeframe.
- Excellent programme management and human resource management skills
- Well-developed personal management skills: you are able to motivate yourself, be pro-active and creative and to keep yourself at ease in remote, isolated areas
We also expect the candidates also to:
- Master English fluently, both in speaking and in writing and preferably has at least a basic understanding of Russian, Tajik and/ or Dari
- Be proficient in use of Excel, Word and Outlook
- Sympathize with and align to our organizational identity and our values.
- Experience in working in remote areas, in sensitive security environments and having worked earlier in Central Asia is an advantage.
To apply, please visit www.miseast.org/vacancies
Please ensure that all sections of the form are fully answered as candidates will be initially screened using data submitted on the online form.
Applications must contain a full CV and a Cover Letter in English.
The applications will be assessed on a rolling basis, we encourage interested candidates to submit their application sooner rather than later.