Senior Water Security Specialist
Oxford Policy Management (OPM) is seeking to recruit a full-time Water Security Specialist to join our Climate Change Team. Detail about the role is given below, and more information about OPM can be found at the end of this document.
- Contribute to the company's success by winning new work, delivering projects to agreed standards, meeting financial and social impact targets and acting as a technical lead or role model to other members of the portfolio.
- As a senior member of the team, contribute to the growth of the Company’s consultancy business and support the work of other portfolios and programmes by providing advice and inputs on relevant technical issues relating to their actual and potential projects.
- Undertake a broad range of technical work on the OPM Climate Change Team’s consultancy assignments (60% of your time)
- Support the strategic development of the company's clients and markets within the water security sector. This entails expanding our networks with clients and collaborators, and developing technical and financial proposals for water security projects, initially with oversight and support from senior colleagues and later independently (20% of your time)
- Manage medium- to large-sized projects (£200k - £1million) to a high-level of quality, professionalism and rigour, ensuring that projects are delivered to maximise OPM's social (i.e. non-profit) impact objectives (20% of your time)
- Contribute to OPM Climate Change Team’s intellectual capital through capacity building of colleagues, publications, innovation and developing technical resources to be used across the company
- Foster good relations with clients, including partner government ministries
- Take a proactive approach to your personal and career development, by keeping abreast of latest developments within your technical areas, and taking opportunities to attend internal and external courses as appropriate
Qualifications & Experience
Successful applicants must have:
- An excellent academic record including a Master’s degree in a relevant subject (e.g. economics, engineering, hydrology, hydrogeology, ecology or a relevant social science discipline)
- Extensive experience working in developing countries and/or transitional economies
- Extensive experience in sectoral planning in the water resources sector, preferably having implemented or advised on the implementation of national water sector development programmes
- A track record of relevant analytical work on water resources sector, preferably regarding the financing aspects and monitoring aspects of water sector policy implementation.
- Knowledge and understanding of water security policy and practice, and an ability to apply this knowledge analytically and practically
- Experience of consultancy assignments and a solid understand of the consultancy market on water security
- The ability to be both a team player and to use their own initiative to prioritise work and handle competing demands appropriately
- The ability to communicate effectively with colleagues and clients both verbally and in writing
- The ability to be flexible and take on new challenges
- Experience of evaluation assignments
- Experience of developing project proposals and preparing project budgets over £200,000 GBP
- Experience of project management, including the management of large project teams
- Interest in also working on WASH projects
- Ability to work in at least one relevant foreign language
This is a permanent position that is ideally full-time and ideally based in our offices in Oxford, UK. We are however open to more flexible working from within the UK or from one of our country offices in the medium term. The role will involve regular overseas travel to ensure effective design and implementation of projects (20-30% of time spent travelling).
OPM offer a rewarding, interesting and collaborative work environment and excellent benefits including 30 days holiday entitlement and a good pension scheme. What’s it like working at OPM, and why should you join our growing global organisation? Watch this video to see what our colleagues have to say.
To submit an application please fill out the form online and submit the requested documents. We cannot accept applications submitted via email. Thank you for considering OPM and we wish you all the best for your application.
More about Oxford Policy Management (OPM) and the Climate Change Team
OPM is one of the world's leading international policy development and management consultancies. We enable strategic decision-makers in the public and private sector to identify and implement sustainable solutions for reducing social and economic disadvantage in low- and middle-income countries.
Supported by a multinational team of just over 220 technical specialists across ten offices in Europe, Africa and Asia, our success is based on a unique combination of high-quality analysis and 30 years' practical experience of facilitating positive change in over 120 countries worldwide. The fields in which we operate range from water, health, education and the mining sector through to public sector finance and administration, social welfare, and national statistical systems and impact evaluation.
You would be joining the 15 current members of the Climate Change Team. Our core expertise lie in low carbon growth, climate financing, disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation across the water, energy, agricultural and urban sectors. OPM also has a strong cross-sectoral reputation for process and impact evaluation. Our main clients include DFID, the World Bank, UNDP, and GWP. We regularly collaborate with institutions working on water research and policy, such as SIWI, UEA, the Water Group at Oxford University, the Water Group at Kings London and the Overseas Development Institute. We also work closely with OPM's Climate, Social Protection, Health and Education teams.
For more detail, please visit our website: http://www.opml.co.uk/policy-expertise/water/water-security