Programme Coordinator (WASH)
Programme Coordinator- WASH
About the role: This is a 1 year, new role with unaccompanied terms based in Dohuk, Iraq and North East Syria (security situation permitting) with a salary of Band 4 €35,981- €39,979.
You will report to the Syria Programme Director. You will liaise with the Programme Coordinators, MEAL Manager, District Coordinators, Country Finance Controller and Programme Partners. You will also represent Concern in consultation with the Programme Director to Clusters, Coordination Forums and NGOs.
We would like you to start on as soon as possible.
Your purpose: You will provide management and technical oversight of Concern’s WASH infrastructure programmes in Syria including extension, construction, rehabilitation and maintenance of water supply schemes and sanitation facilities. You will also contribute in Concern’s multi-sectoral emergency response in Syria through development of new programmes and proposals, high quality internal and external reports, grants management.
You will be responsible for:
- Programme Planning, Management and Development:
- Provide technical and management oversight and supervision of assigned WASH infrastructure projects.
- Ensure that all programme targets are reached in accordance with agreed programme objectives, as per contracts with donors, in line with the overall programme approach and ensure integration with other programme activities.
- Ensure that all resources (technical, financial, HR) are in place to implement the different projects of the WASH infrastructure programme in accordance with the work plans and realistic timeframes and milestones agreed with contractor and donors
- Oversee and carry out assessments of sites for the implementation of planned engineering works as per agreed proposals.
- Oversee the design of the assigned engineering works, following best international and humanitarian best practice and in line with Concern, donor and local authority policies and guidelines.
- Prepare technical documents such as tenders, BOQs, procurement and oversee material and equipment purchases and delivery as necessary ensuring that Concerns’ and donors’ policies and procedures are applied and followed.
- Oversee the work of selected contractors ensuring implementation of construction projects of the highest quality and are in accordance to agreed designs, policies and procedures and timelines.
- Ensure the preparation of detailed implementation work plans and provide the necessary guidance and support to the team to achieve timely and quality implementation of activities.
- Carry out regular field visits to inspect works and organize regular project review sessions through participatory methodologies involving beneficiaries and other stakeholders in the areas of intervention, with the aim of establishing and/or verifying emerging needs, gaps and priorities, and communicate these to the Programmes Director as part of a continuous programme review and improvement process.
- Manage the implementation of an M&E system to monitor progress and capture impact of projects and to make necessary adjustments to work plans if necessary in a timely manner.
- Contribute to the preparation of WASH budgets, funding concept notes and proposals through analysis of field data and actual costs incurred on activity implementation.
- Write concept notes and full proposals for both grants and contracts under the strategic guidance of the PD or Programme Coordinator. This includes background research, stakeholder analysis, data collection & analysis, consultation processes, development of narrative, development of budget and production all associated documents to a high standard in accordance with donor requirements;
- Human Resources Manager and Capacity Building
- Train Concern and key partner staff in donor requirements and compliance rules under specific contracts, in collaboration with Concern Finance and Systems Managers;
- Lead and manage staff, contributing to their capacity building and career development.
- Provide technical support and on-going on-the-job training and coaching to staff
- Ensure efficient team deployment through a system of up-to-date job descriptions developed in line with Concern organizational structure. Regularly review and recommend staffing structure reviews to the Programmes Director.
- Ensure that all staff is aware of and comply with Concern’s policies and procedures
- Monitor and review performance of staff line managed through Concern’s Performance Development Reviews system (PDR’s) and hold staff accountable for meeting the success criteria
- Participate in the design and implementation of accountability and quality initiatives ensuring that they are integrated into the programmes
- Adhere to and promote Concern’s Programme Participant Protection Policy and Code of Conduct (P4 and CoC)
- Undertake other related duties as may reasonably be assigned by the Country Director and/or the Programmes Director
- Contribute to all aspects of the Programme e.g. mainstreaming of equality, protection, and disaster risk reduction
- Collaborate on advocacy work through provision of sound, reliable and evidence-based information based on thorough research
- Provide all necessary documentation support to the Senior Management Team (SMT) including visibility material and programme brochures which promote Concern’s work
- Any other tasks mutually agreed with the Programmes Director and /or the CD
Your skills and experience will include:
This position demands a highly organised and dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding environment.
- BSc in Water Engineering, Civil Engineering, or any related Engineering field.
- Minimum 3 years WASH experience including at least 2 years at management level.
- Thorough technical knowledge of water supply construction and maintenance, including experience with household level sanitation, hygiene promotion, community mobilization, participatory planning and environmental conservation.
- Experience in Monitoring and Evaluation techniques and a good grasp of project cycle management.
- Experience working collaboratively with a variety of stakeholders including local authorities, partners, and other I/NGOs.
- Thorough understanding of budgetary, HR and procurement processes.
- Very strong English writing and verbal communication skills.
- Good team player, flexible and politically and culturally sensitive.
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Office.
We would also like:
- Ability to speak, read and write Arabic is an asset.
- Previous work experience in response to the Syrian crisis.
- Affinity with organisational values, mission and vision, commitment to humanitarian principles
- Familiar with UN coordination mechanisms (cluster approach)
Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be short listed on a regular basis and we may offer posts before the closing date.