Job Number: 509042 | Vacancy Link
Locations: Africa: Ghana
Work Type : Temporary Appointment
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
UNICEF Ghana has received funding from the Government of the Netherlands to support the Government of Ghana in the development and implementation of a national urban sanitation strategy to address household urban sanitation needs, with a focus on urban slums. In the development and piloting of this urban sanitation strategy, on-ground interventions including behavior change, sanitation marketing and social norms strategies will be implemented in Ashaiman, Ho and Tamale, together with providing WASH services to health centers and schools.
Purpose of the Position
- Under the supervision of the WASH Specialist(Sanitation and Knowledge Management) and general guidance of the Chief of WASH, the Urban Sanitation Officer will:
- Implement Urban Sanitation interventions, assist in performing programme assessments, ensuring that project timelines are met and support the development of an Urban Sanitation model.
- Maintain transparency in the distribution and monitoring of financial disbursement to implementing partners and maintaining proper documentation, collating facts and figures and transform them into collective data reports.
- Support identification of gender inequalities and implement programmes to eliminate gender inequalities
Key Expected Results
The following are the expected deliverables:
- Effective management of implementation by leading, guiding, coordinating and supporting the timely completion of donor and technical reports through accurate and complete monitoring and analysis, and the timely preparation or finalization of sectoral input.
- Timely and effective technical advice, guidance and input to implementation of programme strategy and its evaluation, managing and supervising human resources to maximize efficiency and timeliness.
- UNICEF’s global goals effectively promoted through advocacy and policy dialogue and active engagement in communication, networking and participation at every opportunity inside and outside UNICEF. Leveraging the strength of UNICEF mission, goals and programmes with reference to the WASH strategy.
- A final assignment report including video coverage and CD with photos taken during the different activities. The final report should be district specific and should include lessons learnt and proposed plans for sustaining the goals.
- Handover document outlining key projects worked on, completed and ongoing for WASH.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent) in Public Health, Environmental Management, Health Education, Civil Engineering or any other WASH related areas. Advanced university degree is an asset.
- Five years progressive professional experience in Water/Sanitation/Hygiene related programme in UN/Government/ NGO/Private sector
- Past experience on the implementation of managing urban sanitation programming is a significant asset
- Experience on sanitation financing and marketing is a significant asset .
- analytical, conceptual, and influencing skills
- Good networking and team work experience.
- Planning and coordination
- Fluency in English (verbal and written)and knowledge of local language of the duty station
- UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.