Consultant Type: Special Service Agreement
Work location: Mekong River Commission Secretariat, Vientiane, Lao PDR
Division: Office of Chief Executive Officer
Duration/Contract type: 80 working days (2 January to 30 June 2017)
Required deliverables for this consultancy: See (5) deliverable and timeline and: (i) daily timesheet, (ii) Fingerprint scan, (iii) Monthly workplan, (iv) Monthly timesheet requirement.
The Mekong River Commission (MRC), comprising Cambodia, Lao PDR, Thailand and Viet Nam, was established under the 1995 Mekong Agreement to coordinate and promote cooperation in all fields of the sustainable development, utilisation, management and conservation of the water and related resources of the Lower Mekong Basin.
Two summits of MRC Heads of Governments took place – the first in 2010 hosted by Thailand in Hua Hin and the second in 2014 hosted by Viet Nam in Ho Chi Minh City. It was decided that an MRC Summit be convened every four years. The 3rd Summit will be held in 2018 and scheduled to be hosted by Cambodia after the 2nd Summit hosted by Viet Nam in 2014. The theme for the 3rd summit is Enhancing Cooperation and Partnerships for the Sustainable Development in the Mekong-Lancang River Basin.
For the 3rd MRC Summit, a huge workload on communication is foreseen and thus it requires a communication consultant to support the Office of Chief Executive Officer (OCEO) in communication work to reduce the workload.
Objective of the Consultancy:
The MRCS plans to promote and disseminate to the best possible extend about the 3rd Summit – the highest political event for MRC that takes place every four years. Thus, support is needed for the Communication Team at OCEO MRCS to prepare for the 3rd MRC Summit in communication, press, and outreach activities.
Responsibilities and tasks:
The consultant will provide technical support, inputs, performs the following tasks under the general supervision of the Chief Strategy and Partnership Officer of the Office of CEO and working directly with the Communication Officers:
- Day-to-day communication work related to the Summit and International Conference
- Organisation of the drawing contest for children in the countries
- Act as focal point to contact with Cambodian Mekong National Committee (CNMC) on the communication related preparation for the Summit.
- Production of communication materials in English and Khmer.
- Coordination with all divisions within the MRC Secretariat, National Mekong Committees and other counterparts in collecting publications and other products for display and distribution at the Summit.
- Support in identifying and coordinate a Cambodian dance group for a performance on Mekong Day during the Summit.
- Support in the organisation of press conference for the summit, including liaising with media, preparing and assuring quality of press kits, liaising with concerned counterparts on protocol, venue and other arrangements.
- Support pre- and post-press briefing via video conference between the four MCs.
- Support summit exhibition including liaising with exhibition organizers, and related counterparts.
- Support in the preparation of articles and stories related to and for the Summit and its events including the International conference;
- Undertakes related duties as required by the Chief Strategy & Partnership Officer and Chief Executive Officer.
Deliverables and timelines:
Below are expected (but not limited to) deliverables and timelines, and subject to amendments based on demands and nature of communication work.
Number of days (Deadline)
MRC Summit 2018 website
5 days (Jan – April 2018)
A 30- second clip about event
5 days (Jan 2018)
An exhibition at the Summit implemented that is highly well planned, well organized, and are attractive to audiences
20 days (Jan – April 2018)
6 drawing contests planned, organized with high quality technical inputs and support
10 days (Jan – March 2018
A dance performance planned and well-coordinated
5 days (Jan 2018)
A pre-press briefing via MRC video conference system having proper technical inputs and supports.
4 days (March 2018)
Press conference for Day 4 of the Summit having proper technical and coordinating support
1 day (April 2018)
Exhibition materials, press kits, press releases have adequate technical inputs, reviewing and editing.
25 days (March 2018)
A media briefing package is prepared for the Summit with high quality
5 days (March 2018)
TOTAL 80 days
The Consultancy will be based at the MRC Secretariat in Vientiane, Lao PDR. Travel to support tasks will be assigned on a case-by-case basis.
- Level of autonomy: Decision-making in conjunction with the Communication Team, and subject to final approval of Chief Strategy & Partnership Officer.
- Level of problem solving required: Problem solving can be complex and the incumbent must display initiative and creativity.
- Level and type of communications required: Communications are wide, within and outside the organization. Proven superior communication skills a must.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Postgraduate degree (or a bachelor’s degree with 2 additional years of practical working experience) in communication, public relations, journalism or other related fields.
- At least 7 years working experience with international organisations focusing on communications, public relations and external relations.
- Proven work experience within South East Asia, and/or a solid knowledge of the region’s social, economic, cultural and political structures an asset.
- Knowledge of natural resources management/environmental awareness in the communication context is desirable.
- Excellent interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills.
- Good sense of initiative and sound judgment.
- Excellent command of the English language is required. Working knowledge of Khmer is desirable.
Interested individuals are required to submit proposals consisting of two parts:
- Technical proposal (cover letter, CV and contact information on 3 references)
- Financial proposal (daily rates – note that the MRC’s work day consists of 7.5 hours of work)
Condition of payment (select below and provide justification for the selection)
Payment will be made in US dollars on a monthly basis upon satisfactory delivery of the assignment(s). The final payment will be made upon satisfactory performance evaluation by the Communications Team, with other supporting documents from the consultant
Intellectual property rights:
Intellectual property rights – IPR: Information, data, database, knowledge resources in the forms of briefings, reports, proceedings, articles, essays, etc. issued by and for the MRCS will be the MRCS property. Any utility, announcement and disclosure that are without MRCS highest levels of authority’ permission is considered illegal and will be charged by relevant local and international legal procedures.
Consultant must provide proof of a TOEIC score of 600-700 (or equivalent) with the exception of applicants who have a PhD certificate from native English speaking country.
Daily timesheet, monthly workplans, monthly deliverables reporting, daily standup meeting if working at MRC Secretariat, finger print scanning if working at the MRC Secretariat office
Closing date for applications: 30 November 2017