The Innovation Unit at Supply Division is looking for a person with specialized, technical knowledge within the WASH and Education combined with a strategic capability to shape the overall innovation effort within WASH and education as well as the individual Product Innovation Projects (PIPs). The Innovation Specialist (WASH Education) will apply specialized technical knowledge, and in collaboration with counterparts in UNICEF field offices and Programme Division, help evolve the strategy for Product Innovation within WASH and Education and initiate, scope and manage PIPs with the goal to enable the procurement of fit for purpose, end-user driven products to be used in UNICEF’s programmes and emergencies.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
1. Defines the role of UNICEEF in driving product innovation within the WASH and Education space, including creating a strategy and identifying which projects should be initiated.
2. Manage the portfolio of UNICEF’s water, sanitation and education product innovation projects including general project management as well as documenting and communicating developments to management and the innovation review board.
3. Managing the various steps of product innovation including market research, collaboration with developers, field trials, impact and cost effectiveness analysis and scale. Driving fundraising activities as per what is needed to drive product innovation within the WASH and Education space.
4. In collaboration with UNICEF Programme Division, Regional Advisors, Country offices and other key partners, contributes to the development of Target Product Profiles (TPPs), technical specifications and terms of references (TORs) as basis for driving product innovation and subsequent procurement of relevant products.
5. Ensure strong connection between Innovation Unit, and WSEC within Supply Division, and the communities of practice within WASH and Education globally, with particular focus on UNICEF Programme Division, regional and country offices.
6. Create tools and framework to optimize and document best practices for driving product innovation within the WASH and Education space.
7. Any other duties or assignments as requested by the supervisor.
• Diversity and inclusion
• Communication (II)
• Working with People (II)
• Drive for Results (II)
• Planning and Organising (II)
• Analysing (I)
• Relating and Networking (II)
• Creating and Innovating (II)
• Applying Technical Expertise (II)
A completed advanced university degree (Master’s Degree) in one of the following areas: Public Health, Policy, Design, Mechanical Engineering, Sanitation Engineering, Business Studies, Social Sciences or a field relevant to international WASH and/or education related development assistance is required.
*A completed 1st university degree (Bachelor’s degree) and 7 years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of advanced degree (Master’s).
Additional training or courses in Innovation, Public Health, Education or WASH would be an asset.
Minimum five (5) years of progressive relevant professional technical experience in WASH and/or Education is required.
Experience in management of product innovation projects in WASH and/or Education is highly desirable.
Proficiency in English is required.
Knowledge of another UN language is an asset.
To view our competency framework, please click here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Please be informed that all applications to UNICEF are handled via UNICEF’s online recruiting system. You can apply to the above position by creating your profile and application at our website: http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/index.php Requisition no: 508863.
Opening Date Thu Nov 16 2017 09:00:00 GMT+0100 (CET) Romance Standard Time
Closing Date Thu Nov 30 2017 23:55:00 GMT+0100 (CET)