Background/NRGI Summary: The Natural Resource Governance Institute (NRGI) is a nonprofit policy institute and grant-making organization that promotes the responsible management of oil, gas and mineral resources for the benefit of all. Improving natural resource governance is one of the most significant development challenges of the decade and will determine the future of 1 billion people globally who live in scarcity in the midst of resource abundance. Countries with non-renewable resource wealth face both a challenge and an opportunity—when used poorly or squandered, non-renewable resource wealth can cause economic instability, social conflict and lasting environmental impacts; used well, they can create prosperity for current and future generations. NRGI is a recognized leader in the field of natural resource governance, helping people to realize the benefits of their countries’ endowments of oil, gas and minerals in order to build a more stable and sustainable future. For more information, please visit www.resourcegovernance.org
Job Overview/Summary: The Natural Resource Governance (NRGI) is seeking a Junior Consultant to support research on supreme audit institutions (SAIs) and the role they have and can play in resource governance around the globe. This will inform several briefing papers to be completed in 2018. Key audiences for the papers are government officials and decision makers in resource-rich countries, especially in SAIs and parliaments, as well as other oversight actors and development partners. The ideal candidate would be a current undergraduate or graduate student.
The primary responsibility of the Junior Consultant will be to carry out desk research on select country experiences, based on guidance provided. The Junior Consultant will also be responsible for:
- Reviewing news coverage and academic literature to identify 8-10 examples of SAIs producing significant findings related to the management of natural resources across the decision chain, and any actions taken by the parliament, executive, or civil society as a result.
- Providing detailed and well-sourced timelines for these examples.
- Creating a repository of relevant audit reports, with information translations of key sections as needed.
The responsibilities of this role are subject to modifications as required by the needs of the organization.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Project Lead
Position directly supervises: n/a
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Demonstrated Knowledge, Skills and Experience
The following skills are required and/or strongly preferred.
· Strong analytical and research skills
· An understanding of the challenges associated with natural resource governance and oversight
· An understanding of the general role of SAIs
· Fluency in French, Spanish, or Arabic required
A current or recent undergraduate or graduate student
The project lead will act as supervisor, assign tasks, and provide feedback and guidance as needed.
Alignment with NRGI Culture and Mission:
All staff uphold the following organization-wide culture and values:
- Commitment to furthering NRGI’s mission and core values of integrity, intellectual rigor, respect for evidence, innovation, strategic selectivity and independence.
- Demonstrated ability to be a professional, productive member of a diverse community of people at work, working toward shared goals, with mutual respect and accountability in a fast-paced environment.
- Personal qualities of capacity for learning, reflection and self-criticism, humility and sense of humor.
Working Environment: Temporary position. Up to 20 days across the contracting period. The role will be undertaken remotely. There is no compensation for expenses incurred during the duration of this contract. Standard official hours are from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m, Monday to Friday.
The contract period will commence on 27th November 2017 and cease on 30th December 2017. The Junior Consultant will need to report on progress made at agreed intervals. This is anticipated to be every two weeks’.
Please submit your CV together with a short cover letter by 22nd November 2017.
NRGI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NRGI considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.