SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization with long-term, local presence in over 30 of the poorest countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. Our team of advisors works with local partners to equip communities and businesses with the tools, knowledge and connections they need to increase their incomes and gain access to basic services. SNV works across three sectors: Agriculture, Energy and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene. Several international donors fund our programs. SNV has a +100 million euro annual turnover and is aiming for further growth.
SNV Kenya provides capacity strengthening to local organizations (private, public or NGO) engaged in work for poverty reduction.
Within the WASH sector, SNV Kenya provides advisory services to private, public and non-governmental organizations for improved access to safe drinking water to the poorest strata of the population within urban areas, peri-urban as well as rural areas. We strengthen communication among stakeholders in the water sector so that the voice of end users can be taken into account regarding water supply policy at national and local levels. We accomplish this primarily through dialogue, seeking to improve the management and maintenance of systems, leading to improved access to safe drinking water at affordable prices.
The Sector Leader is responsible for the overall quality of WASH program content, business development / resource mobilization, steering the quality of technical advisory services, and overall management of the SNV Kenya WASH programs. The Sector Leader will enhance the quality and visibility of our WASH programs and position SNV within the WASH sector in the country. He/she will provide leadership and providing senior advisory services and leadership to a WASH portfolio of around 10 million euro funded projects by DFID, RVO, USAID, Finland, EU, EKN and will assure the WASH portfolio will continue growing. The WASH sector leader will provide senior advisory services (80%) within WASH projects and 20% of his time on sector leadership responsibilities.
- Team Leader within the Climate Resilience Water Services (CREWS) project funded by DFID through the Kenya Market Trust ((KMT) to improve climate resilience of water services by introducing
- Strategic Leadership: develop country level WASH strategy aligned to corporate WASH frameworks;
- Developing market-based solutions and Public Private Partnerships in the WASH sector
- Advisory Services: lead complex assignments, set benchmarks for results, and monitor quality of advisory services of the WASH sector team;
- Program Management: deliver effective development results,
planning and monitoring, financial management, and donor reporting;
- Business Development: develop proposals and secure funding for innovative WASH programs;
- People Management: lead and coach the team of SNV advisors, local capacity builders and consultants;
- Monitoring & Evaluation: ensure uniform understanding and
practice in planning, reporting, monitoring, and evaluation of WASH programs in line with SNV’s internal frameworks;
- Representation & Promotion: develop and maintain relationships
with stakeholders to improve SNV market position and actively participate in external and internal networks
- Relevant advanced academic qualification in WASH or related field: Master degree or above.
- Proven experience in Private Public Partnerships (PPPs), Private
sector Development (PSD) in peri—urban and or rural water supply or sanitation,
- 10+ years of relevant (international) experience in WASH service delivery (specifically in our WASH sub-areas: urban, peri-urban and rural water supply or sanitation) including at least 5 years in a management role, preferably in East Africa;
- Good understanding of aid-trade agenda, finance mechanisms, coupled with established good network in international and Dutch WASH sector.
- Knowledge of good governance practices, and approaches dealing with gender-sensitive, social inclusion and empowerment principles;
- Proven track record in resource mobilization; demonstrated program design, proposal writing, business development, and international donor relationship management;
- Proven experience with project planning, monitoring, evaluation, reporting and financial management;
- Readiness to work and frequently travel in rural areas with minimal amenities;
- Excellent communication and reporting skills in English are required for this position;
- The successful candidate will be a self-motivated achiever with excellent intercultural leadership, teamwork, coaching, communication, networking and organizational skills.
Contract Type: International
Contract Duration: Two years with possibility of extension