United Nations University objectives
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars engaged in research, postgraduate teaching and capacity development, and dissemination of knowledge in furtherance of the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States.
UNU Institute for Environment and Human Security (UNU-EHS)
UNU-EHS, established in December 2003, is part of the UNU system, a worldwide network of research and training institutes. Its mission is to advance human security through knowledge-based approaches to reducing vulnerability and environmental risks. For more information please visit www.ehs.unu.edu.
The E-Learning programme at the institute is looking for a multimedia content designer to support eLearning activities at the institute. The institute develops open educational resources for use and sharing with educators, students, and self-learners to use, reuse, and adapt them in teaching, learning, and research. Information Communications Technologies (ICT) play a key role in the activity of the institute with regard to eLearning/distance education, open source technologies, and new media in context WEB 2.0 technologies to facilitate communication and knowledge sharing, to enhance project work, and to design and deliver learning materials.
In the frame of the projects such as Higher Education Cooperation with PAUWES, WESA (Water and Energy Security in Africa) and RARSUS (Risk Assessment and Reduction strategies for Sustainable Urban resource Supply in sub-Saharan Africa), TWINSEA (Expert Network and twinning institute on climate and societal change for Southeast Asia), the institute is supporting the institutional development of partners with regard E-Learning by enhancing their teaching and research activities, design, and development of eLearning courses and programs, social and professional networking.
Under the authority of the Director of UNU-EHS/Vice-Rector in Europe and the overall supervision of the E-Learning Program manager, the successful candidate will be entrusted with the following tasks:
- support the development of multimedia content for educational purposes (audio-video, animation, etc.)
- support the design and development of eLearning courses, respectively, eLearning-based educational materials
- support the development of print and multimedia materials for communication and marketing purposes
- support the multimedia documentation (recording, editing and publishing) of conferences, workshops, and educational events
- support the introduction and administration of social media for educational purposes
- support the design of and delivery of web-based educational content
- support the organisation of educational events: semester and block courses, seminars, workshops, and summer schools, in Germany and abroad
- take up related duties as required
Qualifications and experience requirements
Required qualifications and experience include:
- field of study: bachelor’s degree with minimum of two (2) years of working experience in multimedia, graphic design, computer science, information/communication technologies, education or a related field
- proven experience with eLearning tools and software: Adobe creative/eLearning suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Premiere, Audition, etc.), authoring tools (Articulate, Adobe Captivate, Presenter, Camtasia Studio, etc.), and animation tools (Adobe after Effect, flash, go Animate, etc.)
- experience in design and development of eLearning-based educational material; instructional design experience will be considered as an asset
- proven experience with digital camera, in corporate video, short film, and corporate publishing, lecture recording
- good knowledge of relevant digital publishing platform (web and mobile), including familiarity with social media platforms and Content Management Systems (CMS)
- excellent command of English; German and/or other languages will be considered an asset
- ability to communicate clearly and efficiently with high level stakeholders
- proven interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to work well in a multicultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
Applications from suitably qualified women candidates are particularly encouraged.
Remuneration will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Duration of contract
This is full-time employment on a one (1) year Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with the possibility for renewal subject to satisfactory work performance and availability of funds. The combined duration of appointments shall not exceed six (6) years.
This is a locally recruited post; no relocation allowances apply. The successful candidate will be employed under a local contract and will not hold international civil servant status nor be a “staff member” as defined in the UN Staff Rules and Regulations.
As soon as possible.