United Nations University objectives
The United Nations University (UNU) is an international community of scholars engaged in research, postgraduate teaching and capacity development, and dissemination of knowledge in furthering the purposes and principles of the Charter of the United Nations. The mission of UNU is to contribute, through research and capacity building, to efforts to resolve the pressing global problems that are the concern of the United Nations and its Member States.
UNU Vice-Rectorate in Europe (UNU-ViE)
UNU-ViE concentrates on relationships between advancing science and technology for human security. In addition to its scientific core mandate, it administers the central units providing service to five UNU entities in Bonn (http://www.bonn.unu.edu/). The central administration units include Finance, Human Resources, Information Communication Technology, Communication Services, and Procurement and General Administration. These units also assist with the administration of new UNU initiatives in Europe and Africa. For more information on the organisation, please visit www.vie.unu.edu
UNU Institute for Environment and Human Security (UNU-EHS)
UNU-EHS, established in December 2003, is part of the UNU system, a worldwide network of research and training institutes. Its mission is to advance human security through knowledge-based approaches to reducing vulnerability and environmental risks. For more information, please visit www.ehs.unu.edu.
The E-Learning programme at the institute is looking for a multimedia content designer to support eLearning activities at the institute. The institute develops open educational resources for use and sharing with educators, students, and self-learners to use, reuse, and adapt them in teaching, learning, and research. Information Communications Technologies (ICT) play a key role in the activity of the institute with regard to eLearning/distance education, open source technologies and new media in context WEB 2.0 technologies to facilitate communication and knowledge sharing, to enhance project work, and to design and deliver learning materials.
In the frame of the projects such as Higher Education Cooperation with PAUWES, WESA (Water and Energy Security in Africa) and RARSUS (Risk Assessment and Reduction strategies for Sustainable Urban resource Supply in sub-Saharan Africa), TWINSEA (Expert Network and twinning institute on climate and societal change for Southeast Asia), the institute is supporting the institutional development of partners with regard E-Learning by enhancing their teaching and research activities, design and development of eLearning courses and programs, social and professional networking.
Under the overall authority of the Director of UNU-EHS and the direct supervision of the E-Learning Program manager, the chosen candidate will principally be responsible for the following:
- design and development of the architecture as well as modules/components of a digital learning environments (learning management system, social and professional networking platform, lecture capture system, online conferencing system, mobile applications)
- configuration and administration virtual machines and web services stack (LAMP, WAMP, etc.) for the deployment of digital learning environment
- administration and management of educational and technical platform used for educational and research purposes
- support the design and development of up-to-date knowledge management dissemination systems
- support the design and development of electronic courses (e-Courses), design, and development of guidelines and templates for e-Courses and Training of Trainers (ToT) manuals
- support the design and development of web-based and multimedia content for educational purposes
- support to the organisation of educational events: webinar, lectures, meeting, online and face-to- face summer schools and block courses,
- take up other related duties as required
Required qualifications and experience
Required qualifications and experience include:
- master’s degree with minimum of two (2) years of working experience in computer science, engineering, natural sciences, education or other relevant field in an international and multicultural environment; experience in networking with research and research policy stakeholders
- proven experience in configuration and management virtual machine and web services stack (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PhP, etc.)
- experience in the design of eLearning system and components and good experience in agile/scrum software development methodology
- excellent knowledge in management and administration of open source content/learning management framework and tools (Moodle, Social Engine, Drupal, Typo3, Adobe Connect, etc.)
- good knowledge in educational technologies and authoring software and tools for eLearning course development (Articulate, Adobe Captivate, Adobe Presenter, Course Labs, Camtasia Studio, etc.)
- knowledge in lecture recording, multimedia software and tools
- experience in management and administration of online Community of Practice will be considered an asset
- ability to work independently and maintain effective working relationships with people of different national and cultural backgrounds
- excellent command of English and German.
Applications from suitably qualified women candidates are particularly encouraged.
Remuneration will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Duration of contract:
This is full-time employment on a one (1) year Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with the possibility of renewal subject to satisfactory work performance and availability of funds. The combined duration of appointments shall not exceed six (6) years.
This is a locally recruited post; no relocation allowances apply. The successful candidate will be employed under a local contract and will not hold international civil servant status nor is he/she a “staff member” as defined in the United Nations Staff Rules and Regulations.
As soon as possible.