The Programme focuses on establishing the foundation for sound decision-making by supporting the Basin Development Monitoring Framework, in particular the data collection, data management and analytical systems that provide information used in decision-making (Decision Support System) in thematic area
a) Water Resources Management: by filling gaps in the data monitoring networks and developing early warning systems; and
b) Land Management: with the aim of introducing better land-use planning guidelines and addressing livelihood issues that lead to environmental degradation.
The purpose of this Technical Assistance contract is:
- To assist improving the Decision Support Systems used in the Cubango-Okavango Basin Development and Management Framework (BDMF);
- To strengthen water management in the Cubango-Okavango River Basin, through improved water resources data availability and early warning system;
- To strengthen land management in the Cubango-Okavango basin through improved land use planning, reduction of environmental degradation and improved livelihood.
The role of the Key Expert 1 – Team Leader will be to assist OKACOM in project management and implementation, in particular as related to the following tasks:
- Master’s Degree or, in its absence, equivalent professional experience of at least 6 years over the minimum experience required, in water-sector engineering/ water resource management/ environmental management or similar related to water and natural resources management;
- At least 10 years of professional experience in the field of integrated water resource development with the aspects of capacity building, data management and decision support systems;
- Experience in the design and implementation of water basin decision support systems including hydro-economic, natural resources, rural development, land management and socio-economic aspects;
- Experience in institutional development and capacity building for the effective utilisation of decision support systems;
- Familiarity with transboundary water resource management issues in Sub-Saharan Africa;
- Specific experience from water resources related data management in the OKACOM member States will be an advantage.
- Detailed knowledge and training in the development of IT and data management systems;
- Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English is a must. Fluency in Portuguese will be an advantage.