The Natural Resources Management programme is one of the programmes of the agriculture component of the 11th European Development Fund (EDF) National Indicative Programme. The rationale is that the sustainable use natural resources such as wildlife, indigenous plants, forest and non-timber forest products can improve significantly the livelihood of small scale farmers. The three priority areas for the programme are:
- Specific Objective 1: To strengthen governance framework and policy dialogue on natural resources management, through review and realignment of legal and policy framework, capacity building of the Government and stakeholders as well as support to coordination of the sector.
- Specific Objective 2: To improve capacity of communities to develop sustainable natural resources management practices including better environmental governance and soil protection, through organizational, legal and financial support to selected communities (living in South East Lowveld area) for their natural resources management initiatives.
- Specific Objective 3: To enhance applied research and targeted participatory studies on natural resources management through support of pilots and studies, dissemination of information and partnership between Zimbabwean, African and European Universities.
The Team Leader: Natural Resource Management (Zimbabwe) will be responsible for the day to day management of a diverse team, of mostly senior – long and short term- technical experts, with the purpose to achieve the above-mentioned project objectives. As Team Leader, the selected candidate is expected to represent the programme in various fora, in and outside Zimbabwe, proactively engage with and actively participate in relevant programme meetings with stakeholders, such as Government, relevant Line Ministries and Local authorities, programme beneficiaries in the target areas, and others. The Team Leader will be responsible to ensure programme deliverables are of sound quality and delivered in a timely manner within the set programme budget.
- Masters’ degree (or equivalent) in Natural Resources Management, Wildlife Management, Forestry, Agriculture Sciences or related fields.
- At least 15 years working experience as an adviser in NRM programmes or related sub sectors;
- At least 10 years proven experience as a Team Leader managing advisory teams at national level;
- Demonstrated experience with NRM Institutional, technical and human capacity building of relevant line ministries, agencies, local administrations and CSOs;
- Experience with NRM legal and policy development, building institutional frameworks in NRM and related;
- Demonstrated experience in capacity building of local communities to develop sustainable natural resources management practices, including better environmental governance and soil protection or related;
- Exposure or experience with Applied research and targeted participatory studies on natural resources management;
- Recent experience implementing similar programmes in the Southern African region. Zimbabwe experience will be considered an added advantage;
- Track record successfully leading teams of experts from various backgrounds on NRM;
- Experience as Team Leader on EU funded projects will be considered an added advantage;
- Cultural and political sensitivity. Experience and ability to operate in challenging environments.