Field of activity
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a service enterprise for development cooperation with international operations and global experience. Owned by the Federal Republic of Germany, the organisation operates as a private-sector enterprise with a development policy mandate: to make sustainable improvements to the living conditions of people in the countries we operate in. The organisation’s business area – GIZ International Services – is the vehicle for offering GIZ’s services to international clients.
GIZ International Services is shortlisted for an EU – funded poject:”Technical Assistance for the Programme for Transboundary Water management in the Cubango-Okavango Basin” in Botswana.
The overall objective of the project is to strengthen the Cubango-Okavango river Basin governance and promote sustainable management of its water and land resources.
The purposes of this contract are as follows:
- To assist Okavango Basin River Commission (OKACOM) and the riparian countries in improving the Decision Support Systems (DSS) used in the Cubango-Okavango Basin Development and Management Framework (BDMF) in order to enable OKACOM to provide effective advice to member states;
- To assist OKACOM and the riparian countries in strengthening water management in the Cubango-Okavango River Basin, through improved water resources data availability and early warning system;
- To OKACOM and the riparian countries in strengthening land management in the Cubango-Okavango basin through improved land use planning, reduction of environmental degradation and improved livelihood.
Qualification and skills
- Education preferably at Master’s Degree or, in its absence, equivalent professional experience of at least 6 years over the minimum experience required, in water-sector engineering/ water resource management/ environmental management or similar related to water and natural resources management;
- Detailed knowledge and training in the development of IT and data management systems;
- Excellent knowledge of spoken and written English is a must. Fluency in Portuguese will be an advantage.
General professional Experience
- At least 10 years of professional experience in the field of integrated water resource development with the aspects of capacity building, data management and decision support systems;
- Familiarity with transboundary water resource management issues in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Specific professional experience
- Experience in the design and implementation of water basin decision support systems including hydro-economic, natural resources, rural development, land management and socio-economic aspects;
- Experience in institutional development and capacity building for the effective utilisation of decision support systems;
- Specific experience from water resources related data management in the OKACOM member States will be an advantage.
The intended start date is towards the end of the first quarter of 2018 and the period of implementation of the contract will be a maximum of 48 months from this date.
If we caught your interest, we are looking forward to your application until 30.11.2017.
+ 49(0) 6196 79- 3191