Winrock is seeking Forestry and Community NRM candidates for anticipated upcoming environment-focused projects in Africa. Position is contingent upon receipt of donor funding.
Contribute to project technical direction and activity implementation in areas agreed upon with the COP/PD;
Identify and build on successful practices in achieving improved natural resource management at the community level;
Facilitate relationship building with relevant government agencies and other local stakeholders;
- Organize, track, and attend meetings with key stakeholders, and represent the project team at external meetings and conferences as needed;
- Provide technical support to developing policies, strategies and plans related to biodiversity, NRM, and forestry;
Communicate and coordinate with project staff on technical questions related to natural resource management (NRM) and forestry, work planning and program implementation;
Provide management oversight to a range of project staff focused on NRM and forestry;
Develop presentations, demonstrations, and trainings as needed for project staff, partner organizations, professional bodies and other groups as relevant;
Work closely with local NGO partners, providing technical oversight;
Visit project areas regularly to assure progress towards activity objectives and goals;
Support and monitor the implementation of annual work plan and progress report preparation, monitoring all deliverables;
- Research and keep updated on any relevant developments in the NRM and forestry sector, and provide related reports and technical inputs as necessary;
- Support knowledge management and continued project learning across all collaborators;
Address and proactively identify problems and challenges, and adapt to evolving institutional, financial, and political realities on the ground;
Carry out other tasks as assigned by the COP/PD and Winrock.
Skills, Knowledge, and Experience:
- Advanced Degree in Forestry, Natural Resource Management, Ecology, or related field.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience working on NRM and forestry.
- Strong understanding of political practices, legal frameworks, regulations, and procedures governing land use, as well as an appreciation for and initiatives to address current challenges.
- Experience working with relevant Ministries and government officials.
- Ability to build and maintain strong and effective relationships with multiple stakeholders.
Exceptional communication skills, including writing.
- Fluency in written and oral English; fluency in written and oral French and/or Portuguese is desirable.