ICIMOD’s aim is to influence policy and practice to meet associated challenges emerging in the HKH and beyond. To do this we bring together top researchers from the region and around the globe to generate and disseminate state-of-the-art knowledge in the physical and social sciences, including traditional knowledge, for evidence-based decision making; and we provide a neutral meeting point for transboundary research, knowledge sharing, and collaboration. Working to deliver impacts in six regional programmes across four thematic areas – Livelihoods; Ecosystem Services; Water and Air; and Geospatial Solutions – supported by integrated knowledge management and communication, we seek to improve the lives and livelihoods of mountain women and men, now and for the future.
Responsibilities and tasks
- Coordinate with the technical team at ICIMOD HQ to implement geospatial applications including image processing and classification, validation of results and coordinating reference data collection;
- Provide training to relevant professionals from Afghanistan agencies on SERVIR applications;
- Coordinate metadata development for all datasets to be incorporated into the data portals;
- Assist in development of technical operational plans and ensure adoption of standards and quality during the implementation of project activities;
- Provide inputs to technical meetings, capacity building and user engagement events in Afghanistan;
- Technical review of outputs and support in preparation of technical documentation and progress reports; and
- Support any other technical work assigned by SERVIR programme Management.
- Master’s degree in GIS/RS with a minimum of 5 years work experience;
- Demonstrated affinity with environmental and social issues related to Afghanistan;
- A higher level of skills in English and Afghan languages;
- Excellent analytical skills; and
- Ability to understand and contextualize research results.
- Content knowledge: content knowledge on GIS/RS applications in Afghanistan
- Management & coordination: ability to design and coordinate database management and GIS application development, including an understanding of project cycles, and operational planning and monitoring.
- Networking & stakeholder management: ability to establish networks with strategic institutions, and effectively communicate with stakeholders.
- Impact & results orientation: Proactive approach for effective implementation of project activities.
- Social/team competency: The ability to work smoothly and effectively with others in the team to establish constructive ideas or solutions that meet the team objective.
- Flexibility: Ability to easily adapt to changing contexts, technologies and approaches when necessary; make improvements in own work area.
- Report writing: Ability to contribute to the preparation and consolidation of technical and progress reports.
Gender and Equity Policy
Qualified and eligible women candidates and those from disadvantaged backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply. ICIMOD implements a gender fair policy and is supportive of working women. It operates a Day-Care Centre at the campus and is committed to gender mainstreaming at the organisational and programmatic levels.
Method of application
Applicants are requested to apply online before 29 Nov 2017 through ICIMOD’s online application system.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.