Job Number: 496484 | Vacancy Link
Work Type : Consultancy
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Assignment
To assist the Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development scale up the implementation of the Rural Sanitation Model and Strategy
As part of the GoG-UNICEF WASH programme (2012-2017), UNICEF intends to engage the services of a national level consultant to support the Government deliver on key sanitation and hygiene targets through capacity strengthening for results delivery of the Rural Sanitation Model and Strategy at national level.
The GoG-UNICEF WASH programme has a strong focus on rural sanitation in direct response to the poor sanitation coverage in rural areas of the country. This is in line with Government policies and strategies for accelerating progress in basic sanitation. The strategy document for rural sanitation, the Rural Sanitation Model and Strategy (RSMS) has been in place for four years with mixed successes in its implementation. One of the key challenges identified in the implementation of the RSMS is a weaknesses in coordination and effective implementation of roles assigned to various stakeholders at all levels. As part of efforts to address this weakness, UNICEF is supporting programme districts with the services of District Resource Persons and programme regions with the services of Regional Consultants. There is however no support for the National Level where coordination needs are most critical. To address this challenge, this consultancy will provide capacity support for various Government agencies and Civil Society at National Level to effectively play the roles assigned them in the RSMS and ensure integration of the key processes in the RSMS into existing national procedures and processes.
- Strengthen government leadership and ownership of the RSMS through effective programme planning, coordination of stakeholder interventions, monitoring and reporting. In undertaking this task the consultant is expected to engage with leadership (Ministers, Chief Directors and Directors) of key Government Institutions such as the Ministry of Local Government and Rural Development, Environmental Health and Sanitation Directorate, Department of Community Development and the Local Government Service Secretariate to identify ways of achieving this through established Government processes and procedures. The delivery of the task is expected to result in the development of a plan of action which may include the following activities
- Consultations at various administrative levels on Ghana’s ODF Agenda and with other stakeholders such as Development Partners and Non-Governmental Organisations
- Development of a national ODF plan, linked to the Sustainable Development Goals with a clear monitoring framework and annual targets
- Development of regional ODF plans with clear monitoring frameworks and annual targets
- Integration of RSMS activities into National Budgets, the Regional Integrated Budget System and District Composite Budgets
- Development of annual action plans as part of Government’s annual planning processes.
- Institutionalisation of a system of monitoring and provision of quarterly updates on annual commitments made by each region
- Strengthening of regional structures for effective coordination of the RSMS
- Institutionalisation of regular performance reviews on the RSMS
- Provide strategic technical support to the relevant national level institutions to implement the plan of action to be developed under task 1.
- Provide strategic support for the Coalition of NGOs in Water and Sanitation (CONIWAS) the umbrella organisation for NGOs in water and sanitation, to deliver on their advocacy commitments for the RSMS through effective planning, implementation and monitoring. The Consultant will be required to provide technical support for restructuring the existing advocacy plan and provide strategic support for implementation. This will provide Civil Society with greater capacity to advocate for greater government accountability for the delivery of planned results.
- Document new initiatives in the RSMS such as the incremental approach for sector learning purposes. The documentation is expected to be a structured process where regional and district staff are facilitated to reflect on the process of rolling out the incremental approach, undertake an analysis and make recommendations for improvement. At the end of the contract period, a report is expected detailing out the processes adopted, successes achieved, challenges encountered and the way forward for the use of the incremental approach.
- Plan of Action to strengthen national ownership and management of the RSMS developed
- Strategic technical support provided to the relevant national level institutions to implement the plan of action to be delivered under task 1.
- Strategic support provided to the Coalition of NGOs in Water and Sanitation (CONIWAS) to revise and implement advocacy commitments for the RSMS and effectively hold Government accountable for delivery of results
- New initiatives in the RSMS such as the incremental approach documented for sector learning purposes.
Details of methodology and outline of task is in the attached Terms of Reference.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
Masters’ Degree in Engineering, Planning, Environmental Management, Public Health, Project Management, Social Sciences or related area
Years of relevant experience
At least eight years progressive professional experience is required in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene
Demonstrable skills and ability to execute the following tasks:
- Conceptualize and provide strategic guidance
- Engage and network with officials at the highest levels of Government
- Engage in strategic advocacy
- Analyse issues and document them into actionable reports
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Drive for Results
- Working with People
- Relating and Networking,
- Persuading and Influencing
To view our competency framework, please click here.
Please indicate your ability, availability and daily/monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above (including travel and daily subsistence allowance, if applicable). Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be considered.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
Opening Date 22 Jun 2016 GMT Standard Time
Closing Date 7 Jul 2016 GMT Standard Time