Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org
Description & Responsibilities
The Senior Manager will report to the Director of the Investor Water Initiative and play a key role in engaging with Ceres’ Investor Water Hub,
a working group of over 90 institutional investors around the globe with over $19 trillion collective assets under management. Members include state treasurers, pension funds, foundations, large asset managers, socially responsible asset managers, and religious institutional investors, among others. This position will work closely on a tight team focused on encouraging investors to be more water aware and to more actively integrate the consideration of water into investment and portfolio management processes. By building greater investor capacity on water Ceres seeks to advance investor engagement with their portfolio companies on water risks, with the objective of ultimately mitigating impacts to freshwater resources. This position will play a key role in executing projects and research deemed a priority and requires financial markets expertise coupled with a strong interest in sustainability and water issues.
Primary responsibilities may include, but are not limited to:
· Oversee and implement major projects related to water integration and the Investor Water Hub including, portfolio water footprinting, and building the business case for water integration by institutional investors and a number of other topic areas. These projects require both financial modeling and market experience along with some understanding of sustainability and water issues.
· Engage daily with institutional investors in the Investor Water Hub network as well as recruit new institutional investor members
· Participate in team strategic planning and implementation related to Ceres investor water integration, water shareholder engagement and water infrastructure work
· Represent Ceres with external partnerships and at strategic convenings/events regarding water and ESG disclosure
· Develop the business case to mainstream ESG and water integration into the marketplace. Includes but is not limited to designing evolving methods and catalyzing better water data and analytics working across a broad spectrum of stakeholders from consultants, sell-side, ESG data providers and NGO partners.
· Coordinate and partner with the Ceres Water Program across all of its initiatives including agriculture, sustainable infrastructure and California water policy
· Work with other Ceres teams and in particular the Capital Markets Systems, Company Network and Food teams
· Develop media presence via contribution to social media, blogging and working with journalists and publications
· Partner with Ceres Development Team to develop fundraising proposals.
· Supervise consultants, staff and interns, including hiring, training, conducting reviews and supporting professional development
· Minimum of seven years of work experience
· Bachelor degree required and advanced degree or CFA preferred;
· Knowledge of, and experience related to fund management or similar field
· Fluent in financial modeling concepts and methods required
· Understanding of the various roles, skill-sets and activities related to the institutional investor marketplace.
· Understanding of risk management tools and models used in fund management preferred
· Understanding of the trends in ESG integration and responsible investing beneficial
· Experience using financial data platforms such as Bloomberg, Reuters and Factset is a bonus
· Experience supervising staff, including ability to provide training and support staff professional development.
· Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, superior leadership ability, strong initiative and motivation;
· Successful record of organizing and executing multiple projects and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment;
· Excellent project management, research and writing skills;
· Strong meeting facilitation and verbal communication skills;
· Experience working with the media, a plus;
· Knowledge of water themed investing and solutions, a plus
· Interest in Sustainability
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres and Ceres’ Water and Investor work before applying: www.ceres.org
. If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter (with details on financial background and expertise), and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.