ABOUT CONSERVATION INTERNATIONAL
for 30 years, Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of everyone on Earth. But we are not a run-of-the-mill environmental organization; we are more like a human organization. We know that human beings are totally dependent on nature, and that when we work to save nature we are really working to save ourselves. CI has a staff of over 1,000 employees working in more than 30 countries to build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet. Our goal is to protect the most fundamental things that nature provides to all of us: our food, fresh water, our livelihoods, and a stable climate. CI works at every level, from remote villages to the offices of presidents and CEOs, to find these solutions.
ABOUT THE POSITION
In July 2015, Conservation International (CI) became the first international NGO to be approved as an Accredited Entity for the Green Climate Fund (GCF) and with effect from November 2017 will lead GCF’s “Sustainable Landscapes in Eastern Madagascar Project’. The project aims to Improve the resiliency of climate-vulnerable smallholder farmer families, reducing greenhouse gas emissions from deforestation and leverage private sector climate investments.
CI is looking to appoint a Chief of Party/Senior Project Director for this project. Reporting to the Country Director for CI Madagascar, this senior position will be responsible for CI representation, leadership and management of significant multi-million-dollar multi-lateral project. The Chief of Party provides overall leadership management and general technical direction of the entire project, ensuring an integrated vision among different components and stakeholders, and a focus on achieving the results defined in the donor agreement. The COP/SPD must identify issues and risks related to project implementation in a timely manner, and suggest appropriate adjustments. S/he serves as the main point of contact for government relations, donor relations and private sector outreach, and all other counterparts and implementing partners. This position requires significant coordination skills, broad general and technical knowledge, experience in developing countries and skills to ensure coherence and consistency within project deadlines. This position will manage the preparation and presentation of all proposed implementation plans and reports, as well as any other duties required that may arise during the course of the project.
- Leads and manages the project team – providing strategic direction, vision, coordination, resource management, and supervision required to accomplish strategic goals and objectives and to deliver superior quality products.
- Oversees all project staff and builds local and institutional capacity, including managing and mentoring
- Oversees the completion of all technical requirements, including project results and deliverables, developing solutions to keep deliverables on track and motivate staff and partners.
- Serves as the primary CI representative and liaison with the donor and all internal and external stakeholders, building and maintaining critical partnerships for CI.
- Directs the preparation of the annual work plans, budgets, and annual progress reports, submitting
- Guarantees the efficient and effective use of the resources to reach the desired results of the project, monitoring the work plans, budgets and finances, in accordance with the procedures of the donor
- Master’s degree in relevant discipline or field related to the objectives of the project – natural resource management, including species conservation, climate change adaptation and mitigation (REDD+), land-use planning, livelihood trainings. Advanced degree strongly preferred.
- At least ten (10) years or more of progressively responsible international work experience implementing multi-sector programs or a complex consortium of organizations, with demonstrated strong management skills
- At least five (5) years of management experience, including direct supervision of professional and support staff and assembling teams working on multi-faceted international development programs;
- Proven leadership in the administration of similar activities with skills in strategic planning, management, supervision and budgeting.
- Experience and knowledge of relevant donor regulations, policies and procedures with demonstrated success managing international projects of similar scope and scale.
- Proven ability to engage and collaborate effectively and establish strong working relationships with senior representatives of national and local government, the private sector and civil society
- Demonstrated ability to implement projects with rigorous timelines and deliverables and to track program quality through donor approved monitoring and evaluation systems.
- Superb technical and analytical skills.
- Superior interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with written and oral English and French fluency required; Verbal communication skills in Malagasy will be an added advantage
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Previous Senior Project Director, Chief of Party or Deputy Chief of Party experience preferred
- Ability to work extended work hours to meet project deadlines and/or with staff in different time zones
We expect that all employees will embrace the values of our organization:
- Passion: We are inspired by nature and cherish the diversity of life in all its forms.
- Respect: We respect and trust each other, and we embrace our diversity of cultures, talents, and experiences.
- Integrity: We act with integrity and accountable to others for our actions.
- Optimism: We are optimistic about the future of life on Earth and are confident that, with our partners, we will achieve unprecedented conservation results.
- Courage: We tirelessly pursue our vision, taking bold action and persevering through challenges.
- Teamwork: We work together, recognizing that openness, collaboration and cooperation are fundamental to achieving a healthy and prosperous world for all.