Americares global health programs, at their core, seek to confront crisis and create change by creating pathways to health and opportunity. We aspire to support individuals, families and their communities to realize improved health outcomes that lead to years of good health so they can reach their full potential. The Global Program teams at the organization lead this work, working with our partners in over 40 countries through our Access to Medicines and Medical Consumables and reaching a total of 84 countries and 50 states through our work annually. The teams include the International Partnerships & Programs team, the US Team, and the Emergency Programs team, which encompasses emergency preparedness and risk reduction, emergency response, and disaster recovery.
Americares responds to 25-30 disasters a year in the US and around the world. Our goal is to save lives and protect and improve health threatened by disasters. We achieve this by providing medicines and medical supplies, restoring health facilities and systems, providing mental health and psychosocial support, and preventing the spread of disease.
The WASH Specialist will be a part of the Americares Hurricane Maria response team in Puerto Rico. The Consultant will serve as the subject matter expert and lead on all matters related to water, sanitation, and hygiene and non-clinical aspects of water borne disease prevention and control. Reporting to the Response Team Lead, the WASH Specialist will provide recommendations, establish partnerships, and develop and implement solutions that address post-disaster health issues. This may include leading the design and implementation of community WASH programs, building capacity of health workers, and/or designing and increasing access to clean drinking water at the facility and/or community level.
Program Design and Assessments
- Conduct and document post-disaster health assessments, focusing on WASH
- Propose appropriate WASH interventions to address disaster related health needs
- Coordinate with Response Team Lead to evaluate, and where appropriate, integrate available resources into program design
- Lead implementation of selected WASH interventions, inclusive of monitoring and oversight
- Build capacity of partner organizations and provide training to prevent and control negative health outcomes
- Responsible for recruitment of national WASH staff as required, working closely with HR Team and Team Leader. Identify learning and training needs of team through supervision, consultation and ongoing training.
- In line with approved program interventions, identify WASH program supplies and coordinate with the logistics team to secure required resources.
· Support budget development and data collection for WASH interventions
- Provide (at minimum) monthly activity reports to Emergency Response Team Lead .
- Provide monthly invoices and expense reports to Emergency Response Team Lead.
· Represent Americares at WASH coordination meetings and other key stakeholder meetings as requested by the Response Team Lead
· Work with Americares partners to understand WASH needs and implement solutions
• Degree in in Public Health, Water Engineering or other relevant technical discipline; Masters Level preferred.
• Minimum 5 years of experience working abroad (preferable in Puerto Rico) with a humanitarian organization or health/WASH related NGO
• Familiarity with global standards including Sphere guidelines and knowledge of Puerto Rico health system
• Experience with project management, assessment, project design, and M&E
• Previous experience managing staff and ability to live and work closely with a team
• Excellent written and oral English and Spanish language skills required.
• Strong computer skills including Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
• Highly flexible to changing work environments, challenging settings, working under pressure and good communication skills