Company and Position Description
Everyday, we ask ourselves, how can we do a better job at meeting the demand of sanitation services for the 4.5 billion people that live in environments where poop is not safely treated.
This question plagues us and we have a lot of work to do. We partner with local governments to provide cost-effective waste processing services as well as work in refugee camps to provide a sustainable replacement of pit latrines. We do this by transforming fecal sludge (poo!) into biomass fuels, like charcoal briquettes.
To fulfill the demand for sanitation services and reach 1 million over the next 5 years, we need talented, passionate people who are dedicated to growing a multi-national business, and ideally have experience in this too! This is where you, a potential candidate for Business Lead come in. The Business Lead has overall responsibility for working alongside the senior leadership to tackle a number of key areas. One day it may be revising our communication strategy based on an internal meeting, the next it may be presenting our work to key potential or existing partners like the World Bank (using the communication strategy), followed by doing a deep dive on our financial model for replicating our work with municipalities.
The ideal person for this role sees developing relationships, business models, and clear communication strategies as pillars to success. It is someone who wants to get exposure to the all the facets (big picture and everyday details) of running an international social enterprise. The ideal candidate may want to run a social enterprise of their own in the future and is a fast learner. Your time will be split between shaping the strategic direction of the business and helping to improve funding development, economic models, and overall business performance. This is a chance to bring your ideas to life.
Strategy and Execution
- Working alongside Sanivation’s senior leadership to propose alternatives and gather evidence for key decisions that drive enterprise strategy
- Implementing strategy throughout the business by instituting tools and frameworks that incentivize success
- Diving in the weeds to help with the messy and exciting art of running a social enterprise
- Proactively developing recommendations to enhance Sanivation’s HR, business development, and management performance and leading potential business opportunities
- With leadership support, proactively develop strategies for engaging with multilaterals and governments for large scale financing as well as support in building and sustaining those relationships
- Follow a clear plan for monitoring, assessing, and applying to funding opportunities and building relationships with key stakeholders
- With senior leadership support, draft funding applications and requests from funders
- Support in managing funder and investor relationships through reports and monthly updates
- Manage external communications including our newsletter, social media channels, press inquiries and website
- Develop effective internal and external communications strategy to keep the team, key stakeholders, and general public on the same page and excited about our work
- Create and continuously refine materials for external stakeholders, partners, and funders
- Track and communicate internal metrics to ensure we reach our annual goals
- Set the course for an award-winning company by working with leadership to refine company projections and growth plan
- Advise on economic sustainability of proposed ideas and test new business hypotheses
Skills and Experience You Need:
- Empathetic listener with strong and persuasive communication skills in grant writing, powerpoint, and emails
- Excellent analytical and abstract reasoning plus organizational skills
- Strong financial modeling and excel skills
- Detailed oriented
- A desire to live and work in Kenya
- Passion and a sense of humor
- Experience in implementing a communication strategy throughout the organization
- Experience in setting, monitoring, and reporting on enterprise wide metrics
- Experience in working with large institutional and multilateral funders as well as an understanding of public financing models
- Basic Swahili and/or interest in learning
- Bachelor’s degree in business, economics, international relations, English, or other related fields, MBA is even better
What you get
- Flexible schedules and leadership opportunities in an entrepreneurial team culture
- Helping to shape an award-winning social enterprise that is poised for rapid growth
- A compensation package that includes housing allowance and employee stock options
If you think you’re a match send your resume, along with a brief overview about why you’re passionate and qualified, to [email protected] with the subject Business Lead. Preferred start date is December 1st 2017, but we will wait for the right candidates. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis.