UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children’s rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
For every child, Dignity
The main purpose of this post is to support the Global WASH Cluster in effectively managing and strengthening frameworks and capacity for country-level Cluster Information Management, and through this, support and coordinate, timely, relevant and appropriate responses that effectively meet the needs and priorities of at risk and crisis affected people. This work will ensure field Cluster Information Management functions are conducted in a way that supports coordination mechanisms to:
- maximise quality and coverage of responses;
- minimise duplication, gaps and risks;
- provide high-quality data, analysis and evidence for decision-making
- support quality assurance, situational and response monitoring
How can you make a difference?
1. Technical support through high quality, rapidly deploy-able Cluster IM capacity in humanitarian situations to support timely, appropriate and relevant operational and strategic decision-making:
- Deploy when a system wide Level 3 is activated and security/access allows.
- Other prioritized, non-L3 field missions: Large-scale, rapid onset emergencies
2.Assist the Global Cluster in managing the RRT (Information Management Officers), ensuring strategic use of RRT members when deployed and not deployed:
- From recruitment, onwards, and depending on their level of experience, prepare new RRT members for deployments in respect to the technical and functional skills and competencies of the IM role (including induction, on-the-job mentoring on deployment, and remote support).
- Ensure pre-deployment support to improve understanding of the context, terms of reference, and the appropriate IM tools, resources and approaches to support people-centered and evidence-based decision-making in coordination mechanisms.
- Provide technical and operational IM follow up and support for RRT members (including regular contact when deployed).
- Debrief RRT members with respect to IM challenges and lessons learned based on their end of mission report:
-Ensure the compilation and implementation of lessons learned.
-Agree on personal action/learning points.
-Flag and follow up on selected issues with the Global Cluster Coordinators.
-Provide opportunities for IM knowledge/skills development
3. Support the development and improvement of IM approaches, tools and packages:
- Contribute to a structured approach to information management and coordination, for enhanced results and outcomes for at risk and crisis-affected people.
- Promote cutting-edge qualitative and quantitative data collection, analysis and interpretation, including the ability to synthesize and present complex data to help support evidence-based decision-making
- Support the development and piloting of standard, Cluster Monitoring Tools (Excel-based, offline tools as well as online solutions), including the collection and analysis of qualitative and quantitative data to inform cluster decision-making
- Act as liaison between the Global Cluster and the overall GCCU IM efforts.
- Support implementation of Needs Identification guidance and tools and resources; support further Needs Identification training
4. Support Global Cluster efforts to increase and strengthen the pool of available, high quality Cluster staff (Information Managers and Needs Assessment specialists):
- Support the development and facilitation of Cluster training.
- Induction of staff who are taking on their first Cluster IM deployment/position.
- Provide on-the-job support to new IM staff in the field, including mentoring and ensuring the required systems, and understanding of those systems, is in place for staff to fulfil the Cluster core functions.
- Provide on-the-job support for IM Cluster staff on core functions (needs identification, Strategic/Humanitarian Response Planning, development of response monitoring tools, Cluster Coordination Performance Monitoring, etc.).
- Provide remote support, including through the helpdesk.
- Support the implementation of capacity development strategies for UNICEF led Clusters, as it relates to information management related aspects.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced degree in social sciences or other related field.**A first University Degree in a relevant field combined with 2 additional years of professional experience may be accepted in lieu of an Advanced University Degree**
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience.
- WASH background and/or experience in the field is required.
- IM experience is required
- Emergency experience (included Cluster or sector coordination) is a strong asset.
- Demonstrated field experience of Information Management within humanitarian reform and Cluster approach environments.
- Strong analytical skills and a keen interest and motivation for inter-agency coordination.
- Demonstrated understanding of needs identification, programming, and monitoring.
- Flexibility, diplomacy, leadership, cultural sensitivity and team-spirit are considered essential personal features.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
Our core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
* The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
Employment is conditional upon receipt of medical clearance, any clearance required, the grant of a visa, and completion of any other pre-employment criteria that UNICEF may establish. Candidates may not be further considered or offers of employment may be withdrawn if these conditions are unlikely to be met before the date for commencement of service.
Opening Date Wed Nov 08 2017 03:00:00 GMT-0500 (EST) W. Europe Standard Time
Closing Date Tue Nov 21 2017 17:55:00 GMT-0500 (EST)