RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
International Resources Group (IRG), an Engility Company, seeks an experienced technical specialist to serve as a Senior Specialist in our Water and Environment Team based in Alexandria, VA. Our team partners with a wide range of organizations and local governments working in developing regions to deliver sustainable impact across the water, climate, and natural resources sectors. This position reports to the Water and Environment Practice Team Leader and works in close collaboration with other IRG/Engility units. Travel is required, occasionally with short notice and for extended periods.
The Senior Specialist, Water and Environment will contribute management and technical expertise related to business development and project planning, design, and implementation. The Senior Specialist ensures supervision and technical services to on-going contracts and support to capturing new business in existing and adjacent markets. The candidate should have strong experience delivering water and environment sector programs in developing countries. Dependent upon qualifications and need, the Senior Specialist may manage and/or supervise the work of junior staff and consultants.
Role and Duties
The percentage time allocations are approximations and will be tailored upon abilities and need.
Technical Assistance (30%):
- Participate in short-term assignments as required on projects, both domestically and overseas;
- Provide technical guidance related to practice portfolio and projects;
- Provide technical and administrative direction, guidance and quality control of technical experts carrying out project assignments;
- Interact with clients on project technical and management issues, activities, deliverables, and performance; and
- Develop technical papers/presentations for dissemination and presentations.
New Business Development (40%):
- Contribute to expanding business in a wide range of IRG pursued technical areas including leading providing technical written inputs, management, and/or support to proposal development efforts;
- Represent Engility at meetings, conferences and in communications with current and prospective new clients;
- Market to, and develop strong working relationships with clients and potential clients; and,
- Ensure that information about our opportunity pipeline is accurate and up-to-date.
Project Management (30%):
- May provide central management and oversight of task orders, including regular communication and collaboration with USAID central and field project managers and technical officers, as required;
- May provide the central management necessary to fulfill contractual requirements;
- Plans, manages, and oversees preparation of primary project deliverables (i.e. work plans, quarterly, and annual progress reports) and timely submission to relevant parties; and
- Identify/anticipate long-range activities and problems/constraints of the project, key personnel and the client.
MINIMUM TANGIBLE QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field such as engineering, environmental policy, ;
- A minimum of seven years of technical and project management experience , five of which are international development experience;
- Applied technical proficiency in one or more of the following areas by order of importance: water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH), climate change adaptation, water resources planning, environmental management;
- The candidate should have an excellent understanding of current practices/trends related to these technical areas and have a complementary network of professional contacts;
- Experience in business development and strong skills leading and writing proposals for USAID;
- Ability to provide vision, direction, and leadership in working with and bringing together performance improvement and disparate technical areas that span all regions of the world;
- Knowledgeable about overall technical, administrative, logistical responsibility for effective, efficient, timely implementation of all activities;
- Strong writing, oral presentation skills with the proven experience interacting with clients on technical and project management topics as well as the ability to develop technical reports, papers, and presentation for dissemination to sector experts and general audiences; and
- Ability to travel an estimated 25% of the time for capture efforts and technical and project management support to projects.
- Master’s degree in a related area;
- Civil engineering degree preferred;
- Fluent in English required with working competency in one or more of the following languages: French, Spanish, Portuguese, and/or Arabic.
- 2-4 years of experience managing personnel; and
- Experience managing USAID projects and understanding of USAID business cycle.