Call for Applications
Position Title : WASH Monitoring & Evaluation Officer
Duty Station : Juba, South Sudan
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade UG
Type of Appointment : Special short-term ungraded, Three Months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 16 November 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Internal and external candidates will be considered for this vacancy. For the purposes of this vacancy, internal candidates are defined as staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded or ungraded contract, including Junior Professional Officers (JPOs), staff on Special Leave Without Pay (SLWOP), and staff members on secondment/loan released by the Organization, unless otherwise specified in their contract. Staff members holding a regular, fixed-term or short-term graded contract will not retain their contract type if appointed to an ungraded position.
IOMs Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) strategy aims to improve the quality and integrity of program delivery, ensure that programs are responsive to the needs of affected populations, and meet donor requirements and standards of accountability.
The M&E Officer will work as part of IOM South Sudan’s WASH unit, under the direct supervision of the WASH Programme Coordinator and the overall supervision of the Head of Operations. The incumbent will lead the design of tailored tools and to implement the Programme Monitoring and Learning Plan for WASH and related GBV activities. The M&E Officer will work closely with the Programme Support Unit (PSU) M&E staff in designing and implementing M&E for the WASH unit. In particular, the incumbent will undertake the tasks outlined below:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
Lead the development and strengthening of Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) systems, including learning and accountability and generation of reliable data for results-based management of the WASH unit overall and to strengthen project implementation;
Support the development of new project proposals, including development of logical frameworks, setting realistic and gender-sensitive indicators and targets;
Develop and regularly update monitoring performance measurement with WASH staff, such
as quality benchmarks and indicator and performance tracking for IOM and partner’s projects;
- Work with the PSU to monitor relevant context related indicators and triggers relevant for the
WASH unit operations;
Undertake and oversee regular field monitoring and evaluation visits with field staff and in coordination with PSU to ensure technical and operational compliance and timely execution of projects vis-à-vis approved plans and targets;
Support sound ethical and methodological design and implementation approach for WASH assessments and KAPs surveys as well as PDM and monitoring plans, ensuring that gender sensitivity and gender analysis is integrated;
Lead on quantitative data analysis and report writing for the unit’s assessment, KAP surveys and others surveys related to the behaviour change strategy;
Establish and management of community-based complaint-response mechanisms in areas where interagency mechanisms are not functional, including working with IOM PSEA focal points to ensure safe handling of SEA reports;
Support project management with the preparation of timely Donor Reports to ensure compliance with key programme indicators and objectives;
Organize and conduct training activities in Monitoring and Evaluation to IOM programme personnel and Implementing Partners (IPs) as needed;
Prepare and manage external evaluations and conduct internal performance and impact evaluations and other accountability reports as required; including analysis of the findings and providing recommendations;
Support project staff with after action reviews and documentation of learning;
Support the measure of project impacts and collection of vignettes with the PSU Communications Officer.
Support the development of improved information management systems within the office;
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Social Sciences, Development Planning, Public Health, Statistics or related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.”
• At least two years’ work experience (or four years for candidates with first level of university degree) in Monitoring and Evaluation;
• Ability to design and develop Monitoring, Evaluation, Learning and Accountability strategy,
methodologies and tools;
• Demonstrated previous experience establishing and managing robust complaint-response mechanisms;
• Ability to consolidate information from multiple sources and write timely and succinct information analysis and report writing;
• Knowledge of digital data collection platforms and methodologies;
• Excellent computer skills: excellent knowledge of MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and email/internet software, statistical analysis packages;
• Good skills in training and capacity building in M&E;
• Knowledge of Access database is an advantage;
• Previous experience monitoring WASH activities and/or GBV activities is an advantage;
• Previous experience in equivalent role in South Sudan is an advantage.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of Arabic Language is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
• Emergency and Crisis – Works effectively in high-pressure, rapidly changing environments. Coordinates actions with emergency response actors and making use of coordination structures. Supports adequate levels of information sharing between internal units, cluster partners, IOM and other emergency response actors. Establishes and maintains effective relationships with implementing partners. Makes correct decisions rapidly based on available information
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 16 November 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 03.11.2017 to 16.11.2017
Requisition: CFA 2017/44 (P) – WASH Monitoring & Evaluation Officer (UG) – Juba, South Sudan
Posting: Posting NC55228353 (55228353) Released