SIWI – Stockholm International Water Institute is looking for a confident and talented person with extensive experience in writing and editing scientific, policy and popular content, and an aptitude for press-related work.
By providing communications insight, superior writing and editing skills, and a deep understanding of the complexities involved in communicating research and policy recommendations to various audiences worldwide, you will drive the development and implementation of publication strategies and tactical plans across SIWI. You will also be responsible for producing the quarterly magazine, Stockholm WaterFront.
The position entails overseeing all aspects of the publication process, including content and style-editing, proofreading, and liaising with project managers and outreach coordinators. You will oversee compliance with SIWI publication policies and procedures and collaborate with stakeholders on all levels of the organization. You will also support SIWI with speech writing and pitch/message development.
You likely have a strong interest in water, environment and development issues, and experience from communicating impacts. Fluency in both English and Swedish is required.
You will join a dedicated communications team seeking to ensure that SIWI’s contributions to building a water wise world are communicated with passion, integrity and purpose. You are organized yet flexible, passionate, resilient, collaborative, and meticulous.
The position, which reports to the Director of Communications and External Relations, is a full-time permanent contract with a six month probation period, starting as soon as possible, based at the SIWI offices in Stockholm, Sweden.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Produce the quarterly magazine Stockholm WaterFront
- Strategically develop and implement the publications aspects of SIWI’s communications strategy, including from a digital perspective
- Write and edit texts for various purposes and audiences such as reports, articles, press releases, news items, op-eds, speeches, proposals and internal communications
- Be the contact person for select departments at SIWI, follow up their communication needs and provide communication support as appropriate
- Manage projects with responsibility for contact with suppliers, budget-keeping, involving the right staff and contributing with expert competence
- Contribute to SIWI’s press work, including pitch development, and writing press releases
- Manage the SIWI Style Guide
Required knowledge and skills:
- Excellent writing, meticulous editing, and strong verbal communications skills
- Experience of writing and editing scientific and popular texts
- Superior command of the English and Swedish languages, including rules and usage
- Excellent project management skills with the ability to handle multiple projects, prioritize, and deliver according to agreed time plans.
- A team player with an ability to coordinate effectively with co-workers and external partners
- Strong research skills including gathering and analysing data from multiple sources to develop content
- Ability to effectively alternate between thinking strategically and executing at high quality.
- Proven ability to create unique, and relevant content for different purposes and audiences.
- Superb interpersonal communication skills, particularly where technical information must be conveyed in a clear and convincing way.
- Ability to work independently and on deadline
- Proficient computer skills, especially Microsoft Office suite
Desired experience and/or skills:
- Experience working as a journalist
- Experience communicating impacts and results
- Skilled in communicating the implications of research and evaluation findings
- Knowledge of layout programmes such as Adobe InDesign
- Good visual sense, including ability to work with designers
Education and work experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree either in English, Technical Writing, Journalism, or Communication.
- Minimum seven years’ experience in writing and editing, preferably in the field of water and environment.
- Experience with a variety of writing styles: technical, creative, and marketing.
- Experience of strategic planning and project management, preferably in a matrix organization.
How to apply for the position
Please submit your CV and a one-page personal letter to [email protected] no later than 26 November 2017.
For more information about the position, contact Jens Berggren, Communications Director at +46 8 121 360 51, Kerstin Harnesk, Manager HR, +46 8 121 360 12.
About SIWI and the communications department
SIWI is a water institute working for a water wise world. SIWI does independent research, generates knowledge and provides expert analysis and advice on water issues to decision-makers and other agents of change. SIWI organizes the World Water Week in Stockholm – the leading annual global meeting on water and development issues – and awards the Stockholm Water Prize and the Stockholm Junior Water Prize. SIWI currently has over 60 employees from 25 countries in offices in Stockholm, Sweden and Pretoria, South Africa.