Concern Worldwide is an international non-governmental humanitarian organization dedicated to the reduction of suffering and working towards the ultimate elimination of extreme poverty in the world’s poorest countries.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for the following position:
Water and Sanitation/Construction Engineer
Reports to: WASH Coordinator
Job Location: Mogadishu
The purpose of this position is to support implementation of Water and Sanitation/construction projects that are directly implemented by Concern or through partners by coordinating and managing all aspects of water and Sanitation/construction activities. The incumbent is responsible for providing technical support and quality control in design, implementation and monitoring of Water and Sanitation/Construction projects. He/she will report to the WASH Advisor and will receive Technical Guidance and support from the WASH Advisor. He/She will be responsible for preparing technical & engineering drawings/designs of structures, Bills of Qualities, technical specifications and to oversee the construction/rehabilitation of any water supply/construction projects. The Engineer shall mobilize the community, labour and material resources to achieve planned results in a cost effective and efficient manner. He/she also provides technical oversight to technicians, artisans and contractors working on construction projects. For increasing access to water, Concern works in remote villages through rehabilitation or construction of shallow wells, rehabilitation of rainwater catchments, underground tank, rehabilitation and drilling of borehole. Currently, it has been working to provide water in the IDP camps in Mogadishu through extension of distribution network in partnership with the private water owners. Concern also commences water trucking to the most vulnerable communities during the drought season for saving lives. This position holder will be mainly responsible for providing technical support overall water activities in Mogadishu and L/Shabelle Regions and any other areas as may be assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Engineering Designs, Drawings and Bills of Quantities Produce appropriate technical & engineering sketches and produce relevant engineering drawings/designs and present to the WASH coordinator for Approval. Such structures include; VIP Latrines, Pump houses, Animal watering troughs, Incinerators, water distribution networks, Water storage tank towers, Underground water tanks, water catchments, hand dug-wells, dams, Office buildings, Water retaining and conservation structures etc. Prepare schedule of materials and Bills of Quantities for the relevant designs and present to WASH Coordinator for approval. Conduct feasibility studies, engineering surveys and measurements necessary for the design of structures and their construction. He should also maintain up to date GPS Coordinates, location maps and route plans of all infrastructure projects. Participate in baseline surveys or rapid assessments to establish existing gaps, priorities, capacity and justification for intended/proposed project
- Contract Management and procurement of services and supplies Prepare documentation (tendering and contract) related to procurement of works and services con-tracts Facilitate, the process of contract tendering, recommendations regarding awarding contracts in coordination with Programme Coordinator/Manager. Maintain electronic and hard copies of all documents pertaining construction projects Supervise construction activities in close coordination with WASH Coordinator and Programme Coordi-nators Conduct regular site visits and provide technical instructions and guidance to the contractors Develop clear monitoring plans and conduct field monitoring visits and prepare work progress reports Conduct measurements and certify accomplishments on contracted works as per the conditions of contract and recommend to Programme Coordinator for payment Prepare completion report with work certification and recommend to Programme Coordinator for the final payment to the contractor Support Programme Manager and Coordinator on timely preparation of Supply Requests for procurement of technical services for example construction materials, pipes and fittings, pumps and generators. Support logistic department by providing technical details and specification to facilitate collection of local market prices for technical items Procure materials required for project implementation Sample and verify suitability of materials in terms of engineering specifications and validity and recommend delivery/receipt to stores. Prepare wage payrolls for staff or casuals engaged for project implementation
- Community Mobilization and capacity building Facilitate on job skills transfer or training workshops for artisans, technicians and Water and En-vironmental Sanitation (WES) management committees. Prepare simple training or instruction manuals for water supply structures or activities for training/skills transfer purpose, provided such documents have been approved by the WASH coordinator Assess capacity of contractors and establish/keep updated list of preferred contractors in programme areas and beyond Build capacity of partners on technical aspects and work and support them for timely accomplishment of set programme targets
- M&E and Reporting Provide monthly technical updates to the WASH Coordiantor with physical recordings of accomplish-ments Provide technical recommendations on problems encountered at the construction sites Monitor on operation and maintenance of implemented projects and make follow up visits and provide support, if needed Conduct water quality testing following the parameters and frequency as agreed in the proposal and prepare precise report with recommendations Maintain documents on not limiting to following information on each borehole either rehabilitated or drilled by Concern with Project location with GPS Coordinates, tested yield including test methods and protocols and dates for testing, people served and other uses for each source, bore logs, pump infor-mation, type and power supply, pumping head, capacity at head, Information on drilling equipment used including equipment for yield testing
- Others Provide inputs to the WASH Coordinator in the development of new proposals by providing technical information Contribute to the HAP and P4 roll out process as appropriate Any other ad hoc duties as may be assigned by the WASH coordinator, Emergency Coordinator and PD/CD that is consistent with the nature of the job
Programme Participant Protection Policy: -To adhere to the standards of conduct outlined in the Programme Participant Protection Policy and Concern Code of Conduct. -To support and promote the standards outlined in the Programme Participant Protection Policy and Concern Code of Conduct to their team, partner organisations and beneficiaries, and be committed to providing a safe working environment. To contribute to the establishment of preventive measures to reduce the potential for abuse in Concern programme (as per P4 section 6).
Qualifications, Experience, Competencies:
Minimum Diploma in Water, Waste Water, Civil, Construction or Mechanical Engineering with 2 years of similar experience with an INGO, or Construction company. An additional qualification or experience in Community Development or Disaster Mitigation is an added advantage. Flexibility, teamwork spirit and sensitivity to the socio-cultural setting of Somalia. Good communication skills and command of English, both written and verbal. Computer literacy –MS Word, Excel and Power point, AutoCAD and ArchiCAD. Experience in Staff Safety and Security and working in Somalia
How to apply:
Interested candidates, who meet the above requirements, should submit their CV and Cover Letter only to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject of the email as ‘Water and Sanitation/Construction Engineer. The closing date for applications is Sunday, 18th November 2017
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.
Concern has a Code of Conduct and a Programme Participant Protection Policy to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants from abuse and exploitation.
CONCERN WORLDWIDE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT CHARGE FOR ANY KIND OF RECRUITMENT