The Yakima River Basin Conservation Outreach Associate plays an important role in building and maintaining support for the Yakima Basin Integrated Plan (“Yakima Plan”) and its implementation, primarily through outreach, communications, media, and coordination of Yakima Plan supporters. The Associate also will engage in project specific communications and community engagement.
- Work with key Yakima Plan stakeholders to implement an outreach and communications plan in support of specific goals including passage of federal authorizing legislation and state and federal appropriations, and to increase awareness and support for the Yakima Basin Integrated Plan by local, state, and federal decision makers and the general public on both sides of the Cascades.
- Coordinate key stakeholders to carry out the outreach and communications plan by:
- Planning and facilitating media outreach;
- Scheduling and executing educational field trips for a variety of audiences;
- Preparing stakeholders for interviews, testimony, public events and media opportunities;
- Directly reach out to local government, businesses, community organizations and others to brief and educate them on the Yakima Plan;
- Develop and maintain social media for the Yakima Plan;
- Coordinate with state and federal agencies in designing, developing, populating, and maintaining a website to serve as a hub for the Yakima Plan;
- Executing a “rapid response” strategy to address developing events through both media and targeted outreach, in coordination with Yakima Plan Implementation and Executive Committees and subcommittees as appropriate; and
- Developing fact sheets and other materials as needed by the Implementation and Executive Committees and distribute as requested.
- Attend Yakima Plan Workgroup and Committee meetings as needed.
- Build local support for a Wild and Scenic River protection for the upper Cle Elum River system and key river restoration projects.
- Coordinate with American Rivers’ conservation partners and spearhead online and other communications for the Yakima Basin Conservation Coalition.
- Help coordinate outreach and communications for a diverse coalition working to fund and implement an multi-faceted water management and ecosystem restoration plan
- Communicate effectively with diverse audiences to meet the diverse needs of the Yakima Plan coalition
- Communicate the value of projects and programs of the Yakima Plan, including fish passage projects, water conservation projects, habitat improvement project, floodplains restoration project, Wild & Scenic River protection for the upper Cle Elum River system, and Teanaway Community Forest programmatic development and projects.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Political Science, Environmental Policy, or related field and at least one year of relevant experience, or a minimum of two years of relevant experience working on conservation issues, in coalitions, and/or communications and outreach.
- Excellent written and verbal communications.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate projects simultaneously and meet deadlines.
- Strong critical thinking, good judgment, and political astuteness.
- Interest in developing leadership skills.
- Effective advocate with the ability to represent conservation interests while also representing a collaborative working group of stakeholders with a variety of interests.
- Dependable and self-motivated; able to work independently.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct outreach and coordinate meetings and events.
- Must be willing to work remotely but in close coordination with colleagues.
- Team player with the ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and partners to advance the organization’s broader goals and objectives.
- Personal commitment to collaborative conservation, the Yakima Basin Integrated Plan, and American Rivers’ mission.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Salary is commensurate with experience. Full-time and full-time equivalent employee benefits include health, dental and life insurance, a retirement plan, and generous leave time.
Applications will be considered immediately. Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume and salary requirements to: [email protected] with “Yakima Outreach Associate” in the subject line. No phone calls please.