Organizational Summary: River Partners is a private, nonprofit corporation located in Chico, California with offices in Turlock and San Diego. River Partners’ mission is to create wildlife habitat for the benefit of people and the environment.
Position: The Ecologist works within the Science Department and in coordination with the entire organization to identify, evaluate, implement and complete restoration, mitigation and consulting activities. The Ecologist also interacts with agency staff, neighbors, project partners, research scientists and the public.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position does have supervisory responsilities.
- Develop site-specific and ecologically-focused restorations plans; present plans to external partners to build project support; translate plans for efficient field implementation; attain environmental permits for projects; monitor and report on project success to funders and partners
- Develop forecasts of annual plant material needs throughout the region; plan and manage plant materials collection and maintain the inventory of native plant material to support the region’s projects
- Plan, coordinate and participate in educational activities for the public; attend and coordinate public events (such as festivals and fairs) to promote projects, the organization and its mission
- Recruit and train entry-level Biologists and Interns to plan restoration projects and monitor, evaluate, and report on restoration project success
- Supervise and organize schedules of Biologists and Interns to meet contractual obligations and deadlines
- Work with Finance Department and implementation managers to track project budgets
- Develop data collection and monitoring/experimental protocols; communicate outcomes publicly and with target audiences
- Work with public and private sector biology, ecology, engineering and other professional partners to efficiently manage project implementation
- Assist the Development Department to conceive new projects, new approaches, and new partnerships
- Develop and deliver strategic presentations to the scientific community, government agencies and the public
- Establish and coordinate productive partnerships with the agricultural community, conservation organizations, and local, state and federal agencies
- Develop and post original content and articles and links through River Partners’ social media networks, our website, and our quarterly Journal
- Working long hours and/or weekends in a variety of field conditions.
- Traveling to multiple restoration projects for planning and monitoring, which may include, which may include River Partners’ other branches.
- Other duties as required.
- B.S. (preferably advanced degree) in restoration ecology, plant ecology, horticulture, or related field.
- Three years of related work experience
- Creative problem solving
- Efficient on-the-job learning
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work under multiple deadlines
- Experience in project budgeting and contracting
- Competency in professional networking using social media
- Driver’s license with no restrictions
- Possess the ability to communicate in basic Spanish (preferred, but not required)
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Must enjoy working with diverse people and organizations to get things done
- Effectively communicate complicated biological findings orally and in writing
- Possess knowledge of California plants, riparian ecology, hydrology, soils and /or wildlife.
- Possess experience working with California and Federal environmental permitting including NEPA/CEQA, ESA, CDFW Code, California Water Code, Clean Water Act Section 404/401, etc.
- Experience collecting, organizing, and analyzing field data
- Experience with MS Access or other relational database programs
- Understand effective use of GIS information
- Demonstrate an understanding of statistics, experimental design, and data collection
- Integrity and ethics beyond reproach
- Commitment and enthusiasm to carry out River Partners mission
Email (1) cover letter describing qualifications for this position and interest in River Partners, (2) complete CV/resume, and (3) contact information for three references to Mona Dagy at [email protected] with “Southern California Ecologist” in the subject line. Applicants may be subject to background checks. The position will remain open until a successful candidate has been identified. Please submit questions via email (no phone calls) to [email protected]. River Partners is an Equal Opportunity Employer.