The Oxfam Novib Academy is looking for a student with knowledge about responsible business and/or private sector development for the duration of 4 to 6 months and at least 3 days a week to join the ALIVE team (Internship)
Start Date: 31st of January 2018
Oxfam Novib is a worldwide development organisation. We are a proud member of Oxfam, a global confederation that has a shared commitment towards reducing poverty and striving for a just world. We are looking for students who are eager to gain practical experience on international development cooperation, its challenges as well as its inspirational results.
At Oxfam Novib we are looking for students who can bring in state-of-the-art knowledge and fresh perspectives on social change to assist us in further strengthening our cutting-edge programs and public campaigns. We expect you to assist us in preparation, facilitation and documentation of a series of program development and capacity building initiatives with Oxfam country offices and partners in Africa. We expect that you will contribute to these initiatives and provide your insights for further improvement of our capacity building programs with country offices. You may also be requested to take up logistical and communication tasks in support of the day-to-day work of your new colleagues.
This is a special opportunity because you will be part of the Oxfam Novib Academy and start your internship with a diverse group of like-minded students. The Oxfam Novib Academy organizes several activities for interns, such as workshops on Theory of Change and lobbying / advocacy.
In the context of our work on Access to Land, Water and Inclusive Value Chains (ALIVE), Oxfam Novib has identified the need for an academic contribution towards implementation of program development and capacity building initiatives with regard to inclusive and sustainable value chains and private sector influencing with Oxfam country offices and Oxfam partners in a number of (French) speaking African countries.
Key deliverables of the position:
- Demand amongst Oxfam country offices in Francophone Africa for capacity building of their staff and partners on private sector influencing and engagement analysed;
- A series of capacity building initiatives (webinars, training of trainers, workshops, e-learning etc.) with Oxfam country offices on the above subject developed;
- State-of-the-art inclusive value chain programmes, tools and experiences in Francophone literature analysed and compared with the Oxfam Novib private sector resource pack;
- Capacity building materials (in French) developed;
- Capacity building sessions (in French, as planned by the ALIVE team for 2018) co-facilitated under supervision of colleagues;
- Well-founded recommendations provided on how to improve the private sector influencing program.
- Registration at a College or University in The Netherlands on a Bachelor or on a Master level;
- Good conversation and writing skills in French as well as in English;
- A good understanding of inclusive value chains and responsible business development;
- Strong analytical skills, result-orientation and a team player mentality
- Proven (intercultural) communication and networking skills, preferably in international settings;
- Experience in the development and facilitation of capacity building activities;
- Strong computer skills (MsOffice)
- Proven organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
What we offer
- Participation in the Oxfam Novib Academy which offers learning and interaction with other like-minded student interns and facilitates personal and professional development;
- Mentoring and Supervision by Oxfam Novib staff;
- Access to a global network of experienced staff and partners;
- Experience in applied research with societal relevance in a leading development organization;
- Work experience at an international NGO
- A small financial contribution
How to Apply
If you are interested and want to apply for the job please press the ‘apply‘ button by November 20, 2017 (we don’t process applications received by e-mail).
Curriculum Vitae (max. 3 A4);
Motivational Letter (max. 1 A4).
In case you are selected, you will be required to present a letter of a College and/or University lecturer who is committed to be your contact person at the University for academic guidance.
Please note that to be eligible for internships at Oxfam Novib, you need to be enrolled in a university or an educational institution for the entire duration of the internship. This is non-negotiable.
Selected candidates will be contacted at the end of November to schedule an interview. Interviews will take place in December. In the last week of January, the introduction days will take place. Participation in this is mandatory. For questions about this vacancy please email us at [email protected]
Read about the Oxfam Novib Academy and experiences of the current Oxfam Novib Academy interns: http://oxfamnovibacademy.wordpress.com/