- Job Description
Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson is a dynamic, 100% employee-owned consulting firm of more than 1,500 professionals that provides a full range of multi-disciplined engineering, architecture, information technology, and related services to public agencies and private clients throughout the United States. JMT, currently ranked #64 on Engineering News-Record’s list of the Top 500 Design Firms.
JMT is a highly-respected Employee-Owned company providing services under multiple ecological restoration contracts with local, state and federal agencies throughout the mid-Atlantic region. We manage, design, and implement successful and innovative stream and wetland, water resource and infrastructure protection projects throughout our company’s footprint. Our highly skilled staff also performs the full suite of environmental impact assessment, permitting, natural and biological resource assessments, and water resources engineering services.
JMT is seeking a skilled professional with experience in ecological restoration, stream restoration, water resource engineering, wetland delineation, watershed planning, and related environmental services for the Pennsylvania region. The ideal candidate would assist Project Managers with assessing, designing, and developing reports and presentations for key regional clients as well as other local, state, and Federal clients. The ideal candidate will have the desire to grow and develop technical capabilities and collaborate with other technical experts in our core environmental and water resource business units throughout JMT.
- Perform stream surveys including geomorphic assessment methodologies of streambed dimension, pattern, and profile
- Performing sediment sampling, pebble counts and gravel bar sieve analysis
- Perform bank erodibility hazard index rating and near bank stress assessments
- Perform historical investigations
- Perform wetland identification and delineations
- Assist with threatened and endangered species surveys and habitat assessments
- Preparing Chapter 105/Section 404 permit applications and any agency coordination
- Assist in preparing Contract Documents including Plans, Specifications, Engineering and Cost Estimates
- Ability to perform identified field work including lifting 50 lbs.
- Required Skills
- Strong communication, organization, and technical writing skills are required
- Ability to operate laser level survey equipment
- Required Experience
- B.S. or M.S. in Environmental Sciences, Biology Environmental Engineering, Water Resource Engineering from an accredited college/university
- 1-5 years of experience in ecological/environmental assessments
- Experience with GIS is a preferred
- MicroStation and/or AutoCAD drafting experience is a preferred
- Experience with the Endangered Species Act and National Environmental Policy Act
- Experience with Hydrologic Modeling using TR55 / TR20 and Rational Methodologies
- Experience with Hydraulic Modeling using HEC-RAS and/or 2-dimensional models
- Construction Management / Oversight experience is preferred
- Experience working in Pennsylvania and Maryland is preferred
Work is performed within a general office environment approximately 50% of the time. Office work is generally sedentary in nature but may require occasional standing and walking. Office work is performed with adequate lighting and temperature, with no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc.
Field work is required approximately 50% of the time and is conducted outdoors in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions. Field work will require walking and carrying field equipment over typical outdoor terrain. Some lifting (up to 25 lbs) may be required as needed.
- Analytical Thinking/Problem Solving
- Creativity and Innovation
- Client Focus
- Job Proficiency
- Job-Focused Learning
- Planning and Organizing/Time Management
- Relationship Building & Teamwork
- Integrity & Ethics
- Quality Service
Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
- Job Location
- York , Pennsylvania, United States
- Position Type
Environmental Scientist (Water Resource Specialist)
Johnson Mirmiran and Thompson
York, PA, US