Asian Development Bank (ADB) is an international development finance institution headquartered in Manila, Philippines and is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific region. ADB’s mission is to reduce poverty and promote sustainable economic growth in the region. ADB’s main instruments for helping its developing member countries are policy dialogue, loans, equity investments, guarantees, grants, and technical assistance.
The position is assigned in the Environment, Natural Resources and Agriculture Division (SAER) within the South Asia Department (SARD). SARD is responsible for providing leadership innovation, lending, project implementation and knowledge sharing for ADB’s sector and thematic work that covers operations in Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, and Sri Lanka. And, SAER, is responsible for sector support for water resources management, agricultural productivity and rural development.
To view ADB Organizational Chart, please click here.
The Water Resources Specialist contributes to the formulation and articulation of policy and strategies on water resources management in developing member countries (DMCs). Lead in identifying, developing, processing, implementing and administering loans, technical assistance (TA) projects, and provides relevant stakeholders with necessary technical support and knowledge for projects. The incumbent will report to the Director of SAER and may supervise one or more National and Administrative staff.
- Process and administer subregional and DMC specific loan, grant, and TAs in the areas of water resources management, with due attention to country’s development policies, projects’ impacts on climate change and rural areas.
- Identify the priority areas in water resources management and its impact on agricultural and rural development and the modality and nature of the required technical assistance support
- Assist SARD Management with guidance on inquiries related to water security
- Maintain strategic partnership with external partners for knowledge and project opportunities. Respond to external inquiries as needed.
- Collaborate and disseminate content on SARD operations in water resources management. Lead relevant in-house studies and seminars and prepare reports or policy briefs on topics crucial to ADB’s water resources management operations.
- Lead, supervise, and support reporting staff, including their performance and development.
Relevant Experience & Requirements
- Master’s degree in civil engineering specializing in the water resources management. Alternatively, master’s degree in general fields combined with additional relevant professional experience on water resources management including irrigation can be considered.
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant professional experience in water resources management including international work experience.
- Broad experience in the preparation of investment projects and analysis of relevant development policies.
- Must have managerial skills and experience leading professionals, teams, and missions for technical matters, projects, decisions in food security.
- Deep knowledge of food security and rural development issues in Asia. Significant expertise within a specific area of ADB’s operations (economic, sector or thematic), or breadth across multiple areas with in-depth knowledge within one area.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required.
- Proficient or advanced competency level in Client Orientation, Achieving Results and Problem Solving and Knowledge Sharing.
- For other competencies, relevant to the position, please refer to the link for ADB Competency Framework for International Staff Levels 3 – 4
The selected candidate is appointed for an initial term of 3 years.
ADB offers competitive remuneration at the range between USD117,400 and USD158,500 per year for this vacancy and a comprehensive benefits package. Actual appointment salary will depend on the selected individual’s qualifications and experience.
ADB only hires nationals of its 67 member countries.
ADB seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities to work in an inclusive environment. ADB encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of ADB member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. Women are highly encouraged to apply.
Please note that the actual level and salary will be based on qualifications of the selected candidate.