It’s hard to believe that today 844 million people do not have clean water and 2.3 billion do not have a decent toilet – around one in three of the world’s population. Every two minutes a child under five dies from diarrheal diseases caused by poor water and sanitation. We started because no NGO like us existed. We’ll end when no organisation like us is needed.
In the meantime, we’re making great progress – since 1981, we have reached 25 million people with clean water and, since 2004, 24 million people with sanitation across the various countries where we work. We’re looking for people who share a commitment to our vision. We’re looking for people with an appreciation and respect for different people and ideas, and the energy and expertise to help tackle the most important challenges. In return, you can expect to get inspiration from the change you help make happen, a sense of belonging and the feeling of being part of a global community. You will also experience stimulation and fulfilment, the chance to grow, and space to be yourself at your best. This is our pledge to you.
WaterAid Zambia is looking for a Head of Programmes to play a vital role in our mission to make clean water, decent toilets and good hygiene normal for everyone in Zambia by 2030. As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) of WaterAid Zambia (WAZ), the role of Head of Programmes is responsible for:
- Strategic planning, development, management and delivery of sustainable, integrated Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) programmes through fostering modelling-driven innovation
- Leading on programme planning, development, effectiveness, quality assurance, learning and impact in the Country Programme (CP)
- Leading fundraising initiatives through development of high quality, coherent and feasible fundraising proposals and budgets, management of all donor relationships and ensuring compliance with grant requirements
The role will focus on the following specifically:
- Strategic Leadership
- Programme Development and Management
- Programme Effectiveness across the Country Programme
- Funding, fundraising, grants and donor management
- Financial Management and Budget Control
- People Leadership
To be successful, you’ll need:
- Minimum of seven (7) years’ development and management experience and at least three (3) of which should be in a senior management position in reputed international or national non-governmental organization (NGO)
- Experience in development of strategy and operational plans
- Strong negotiation, influencing and networking skills
- Commitment to WaterAid’s values and a working style that reflects these
The role will require some travel in-country, as well as infrequent trips across the region and some internationally.
Please download the full job description here>
If you are interested in the position and have the right skills and attributes, send your application, consisting of a letter of interest and a CV, via email to [email protected] using “Head of Programmes” as the subject. Please provide details of at least three relevant references and clearly indicate details of your current remuneration package.
Note: In order to apply for this role, you must demonstrate your eligibility to work in Zambia.
This role has been re- advertised and applicants that already applied, need not apply this time. WaterAid is an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We particularly encourage applications from women who are underrepresented at this level in the organisation.
Only candidates shortlisted for interviewing will be contacted within two weeks of the closing date for applications. No recruitment agencies please.