In the post-Paris context, business has a pivotal role to play in achieving the necessary emission reductions to meet the Paris NDCs. A positive feedback loop can be created by demonstrating business’ achievement of its commitments, thus empowering governments to further strengthen their NDCs – only then can we hope to secure a well-below 2C world.
But how are businesses performing? Are they achieving their emissions reduction targets, or even on track to do so? What impact do these achievements have in aggregate? How do targets related to water and deforestation support or detriment this? Most importantly… what information do we require to perform these analyses and how can we setup a robust infrastructure to ensure that this vital information is made available to the necessary stakeholders?
CDP is seeking a highly motivated individual with experience and interest in science based targets (those determined by the context of climate science in order to limit global warming to below 2°C), (renewable) energy, energy efficiency and GHG emissions target setting and monitoring, other corporate climate commitments and targets (e.g. deforestation, water) and related data modeling and management to join CDP’s Data Team. The position holder will support in the collection, storage and assessment of relevant data necessary for cleaning corporate targets, developing methodologies to track and evaluate company progress against targets, and aid in developing a data infrastructure for the ongoing analysis of corporate commitments to environmental impact reductions.
- Work with the technical manager and other internal and external stakeholders in defining and improving upon methods for cleaning corporate targets data;
- Develop and implement methods for consuming external data and integrating them into CDP’s database, maintaining transparency through these processes;
- Collect external data relevant for target assessment, e.g. facility-level details, production data, etc.
- Support in the data analysis for a seminal report on how business is delivering on its commitments;
- Create a data infrastructure to facilitate the ongoing monitoring and analysis of corporate targets;
- Extract, transform and load data from and into CDP’s data warehouse;
- Facilitate the internal and external accessibility, usability and analysis of CDP’s data;
- Determine optimal data delivery methods and formats and support in the operationalization of identified requirements;
- Any other tasks as deemed appropriate by the line manager.
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Methodical person with great attention to detail;
- Numeracy/mathematical literacy;
- Ability to work on several tasks simultaneously;
- Communication skills; ability to work independently as well as to interact with a large team, collaborate and share knowledge;
- Highly competent in spoken and written English.
Qualifications and work experience
- Min. 2 years working experience;
- IT skills, with expert knowledge of Excel; experience with databases, database architecture design and knowledge of T-SQL are a strong advantage; experience with other data analysis software packages is an advantage.
- Ability to document work to a high standard, maintain documentation, write reports and establish procedures;
- Keen interest in sustainability issues and the use of data as a means to solve them, in particular climate change and/or energy issues;
- Familiarity with data cleaning and modeling is an advantage;
- Familiarity with corporate target setting and monitoring processes with some previous experience in implementing them is an advantage.
The successful candidate will report to the Technical Manager (Data) and will work closely with several other internal teams in CDP as well as external stakeholders. The role is for 5 days per week, based at CDP’s office in London or New York City. The position is for a fixed-term of one year with the potential to extend thereafter.
CDP cannot support in providing work visas; therefore, applicants need to be able to live and work in either the UK or USA.
Benefits: Annual group bonus, 24 days holiday, other competitive NGO benefits.
If you are interested in applying, please send your CV together with a cover letter outlining your suitability for the role and ambition for applying to: [email protected] with “Targets Data Analyst” as the subject line. Please identify the documents you are sending by including “[your name] cover letter” and “[your name] CV” in the file names. The deadline for application is 15 July 2016.