Earthjustice is now accepting applications for an Associate Attorney to join its Washington, D.C, office. This office serves both as a center for litigation on important national environmental issues, and as a regional office for issues arising in the Mid-Atlantic states. The current docket includes litigation and advocacy to: curb climate change pollution; protect public health and the environment from air pollution, including in disproportionately impacted communities; ensure safe drinking water and clean rivers; protect people from the dangers of hazardous wastes; and secure strong energy efficiency standards for the nation. For more information about the office’s work, visit http://earthjustice.org/about/offices/dc .
The attorney selected for this position will have the opportunity to play a key role in legal actions that can make a real difference to people’s health and well-being, and in protection of important environmental values.
- Work closely with Staff Attorneys and clients to investigate, develop, and prosecute cases.
- Participate in the full range of tasks involved in complex litigation, including factual investigation, legal research, discovery, briefing, witness preparation, and oral advocacy.
- As an Associate Attorney gains experience, typically her or his case load will include both cases for which he or she has primary responsibility under the supervision of a Staff Attorney, and cases on which he or she works in a supporting role with Staff Attorneys.
The Associate Attorney program is a three-year position. This program is designed to help attorneys develop into thoughtful, professional, and effective advocates skilled in the various phases of public interest litigation. Many Associates have gone on to other positions within Earthjustice and with other public interest organizations.
- Law school graduate admitted to, or willing to apply for admission to, the District of Columbia State Bar.
- 1-5 years of litigation experience preferred.
- Excellent research, analytic, writing and communication skills.
- Strong work ethic, initiative, sound yet creative judgment.
- Strong desire to fight for the right of all to a healthy environment.
- Ability to work well in a team-oriented atmosphere.
- Commitment to public interest work and a passion for the role of Earthjustice and its mission.
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested candidates should submit a:
- One or two-page cover letter that addresses your interest in, and qualifications for the position and the earliest date you would be available to begin work. Writing sample, preferably a legal brief or memorandum that primarily reflects your work.
- Law school transcript.
- List of three references.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Please reach out to [email protected] if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.