Position Title : Project Manager (WASH)
Duty Station : Yumbe, Uganda
Classification : Professional Staff, Grade P3
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 01 November 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading
UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and
non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Belize, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Maldives, Malawi,
Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Uganda is currently hosting 1.3 million refugees, the largest refugee population in the African continent. Seventy-five per cent of refugees in Uganda are from South Sudan. The country has one of the world’s most progressive refugee protection policies and has been at the forefront of integrating development solutions to refugee crises. For example, in Uganda refugees are integrated with host communities and have the right to work and access public services alongside nationals. IOM Uganda has been providing humanitarian support to refugees in the water, hygiene and sanitation (WASH) sector since 2012. Interventions have included construction of sanitation facilities and water systems as well as community-led approaches to improve hygiene and sanitation. Currently, IOM is implementing WASH projects in Bidibidi refugee settlement (Yumbe District) and Palorinya refugee settlement (Moyo District).
Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission and in close coordination with the Regional Emergency and Post Crisis Specialist, the successful candidate will be accountable and responsible for supporting the planning, coordination, implementation and monitoring of all WASH projects in Uganda. S/he will also act as focal point for all issues related to the refugee emergency in the country.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Manage the overall implementation of all WASH projects in Uganda including technical and
financial aspects in coordination with the Resource Management Unit and in compliance with
IOM policies and donor requirements.
Lead the WASH team in Yumbe and Moyo Districts as well as Kampala to ensure uniformity in the response and adequate resource allocation through coordination and monitoring. Oversee the recruitment and performance of staff and consultants in coordination with relevant units of IOM Uganda.
Develop and maintain work plans, implementation strategies and expenditure plans to ensure timely execution of projects.
Prepare donor reports and ensure timely submission in line with donor requirements and IOM procedures and standards. Prepare regular briefings, situation reports, and other material as needed.
Carry out technical supervision of all construction works such as piped water systems, latrine blocks and other institutional sanitation facilities to ensure the works are of the highest possible standard. Prepare technical progress reports and completion certificates. Oversee the contract management for all contractors and work closely with the Resource Management Department to ensure timely payment to contractors.
Develop and execute technical bidding documents (BOQ, technical drawings) including for piped water systems in accordance to Ugandan standards. Oversee the procurement process for construction contractors.
Oversee the work of various implementing partners in the area of hygiene and sanitation. Ensure that WASH items are effectively distributed to beneficiaries.
Build capacity of various stakeholders on best and sustainable practices in the WASH sector including of community-based water implementation committees.
Develop sustainability strategies for IOM WASH interventions particularly for piped water systems, including operations and management (O&M) schemes.
Liaise with the Ministry of Water and Environment, District Water Officers, Office of the Prime Minister, UNHCR, UNICEF and other stakeholders as necessary to ensure IOM interventions are aligned to national standards and priorities.
Represent IOM in WASH sector meetings and other emergency coordination mechanisms as need.
Spearhead resource mobilization efforts for Uganda’s WASH portfolio. This will include donor liaison, project proposal development and positioning IOM vis-à-vis various stakeholders.
Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Civil Engineering, Water Engineering or a related field from an accredited academic institution with five years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with seven years of relevant professional experience.
• Experience managing WASH project in an emergency setting with a focus on construction
supervision of WASH infrastructure;
• Skills and knowledge on the planning, design, execution and supervision of piped water systems is essential;
• Proven track record of working with government officials, UN agencies, NGO and communities in the execution of WASH projects;
• Familiarity with the analysis of sectoral policies and budgets;
• Experience liaising with donors, government officials and other stakeholders and a proven track record of resource mobilization;
• Ability to prepare clear and concise reports;
• Knowledge and experience working with IOM’s administrative procedures a distinct advantage.
Fluency in English is required.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 01 November 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 19.10.2017 to 01.11.2017
Requisition: SVN 2017/186 (P) – Project Manager (WASH) (P3) – Yumbe, Uganda (55212736) Released
Posting: Posting NC55212744 (55212744) Released